1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interested in another teaching position but how to explain...!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Oct 9, 2019.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

That I've only taught at this school since September! Any ideas?

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You don't need to explain. But if you want to, it is probably best to give a good reason why you want the new job rather than why you want to leave your current one. Only you can know what that reason could be.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just give compelling reason to move to new place.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  4. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

Closer to home usually works well if applicable... Or if not, you're looking to relocate that way? ;)

JohnJCazorla and thekillers1 like this.
  5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Apply and see if you get an interview first before saying anything.

thekillers1 and jlishman2158 like this.
  6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I wouldn't-what if they contact her head? To me it looks more honest to say something. Or don't heads pick up the phone and talk to each other any more-if they still do, it might put her existing head-and potential one-off her if they think she is being underhand. My heads were usually asked for refs before I was interviewed, so I'd say I was considering it beacuse I could develop X skill.
    I know it was easier for me, as I'd been at the schools a long time, but if OP is looking to move so soon, either she's unhappy-or it really is an amazing, perhaps one-off, opportunity.

thekillers1 and jlishman2158 like this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Bearing in mind that you are not entitled to take time off for an interview, it is far better to speak to the Head at the time of applying. If nothing else, there is more chance of a sympathetic request for time off for the interview.

thekillers1 likes this.