1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interested in a job but may lack experience

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ChaStar1989, Jan 21, 2016.

1. ChaStar1989

ChaStar1989 New commenter

Hi All,

I have found a job that I am interested in, but I am unsure whether or not to apply as there is something in the job details that I am lacking in experience.

The advert says: The ability to teach at KS3, KS4 and KS5.
    I currently teach my subject at KS3 and KS4 level, but I have not taught KS5 before.

Is the wording of this meaning that it is essential that KS5 has been taught before, or does it mean they are willing to accept candidates that have not taught it but are able (willing) to teach it?

I hope my post makes sense!

Thank you :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there ChaStar1989, and welcome to the foum.

Yes, I agree that the wording is a little unclear. But I think that it means more than just willing to teach it.

Are you able - do you have a degree in this subject? (Mind you, that's not always the case for Maths & Physics nowadays!)

Are you able - did you teach it on your Teaching Practice as part of PGCE?

Are you able - have you ever taught it at any time?

Those sort of things would help flesh out a bit more your application.

And read this along similar lines.

If and when you get to applying for something, come first to the Jobseekers Forum - just scroll down to find it - to get the links to the advice articles on applying for jobs in schools.

Best wishes

3. ChaStar1989

ChaStar1989 New commenter

Dear Theo,

Thank you for your reply.

I read the post that you have suggested to read and I thought my case sounded similar.

I have a degree in the subject (History) but I have never taught KS5 - although I did observe teaching of it (and helped small numbers in groups) when I did a KS5 placement as part of my PGCE. I think this may limit my chances of being selected!

Thanks again,

Charlotte

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you decide to go ahead, come down to the Jobseekers Forum - just scroll down to find it - to get the links to the advice articles on applying for jobs in schools.

Best wishes

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I started my teaching career (in the same subject btw) in 11-16 school and moved to 11-18 (not too long ago as well) depends on the school really. Unless it is clearly stated that KS5 is an essential criteria (we always call it desirable) then I would not be too put off, especially if you have some experience from teaching practice.