1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interactive whiteboard training

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by zoom12, Jan 15, 2016.

1. zoom12

zoom12 New commenter

I currently teach on the Isle of Man, where we use all apple software in schools. I feel like I am quite experienced with ICT, my kids use googledocs to type, edit and share there work, they also use iMovie, pic collage, keynotes etc etc and I even run a lunchtime coding club, BUT this is all using macbooks, pages etc. I have recently been offered a very exciting job abroad which is great, BUT the school uses interactive whiteboards and (I'm assuming) microsoft. I really don't want to start on a back footer... Is there anywhere I can do interactive whiteboard training as I have never used these in a classroom?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting that new job. Exciting!

I shouldn't assume . . . there are some dedicated WB companies.

Find out first of all exactly what it is. Then look at the website of that company to see what there is available on line as support for newbies.

For example promethean

You might also try and find out if there's a school nearby - perhaps an Indy? - that uses the same system as your new school, and would be happy for you to go in and speak to someone for 30 minutes after school one day.

Best wishes

3. indiemuppet

indiemuppet New commenter

Hi there Zoom,

Nice one on the job, well done!

Hopefully I can give you some help here - I've been teaching for 8 years now, and the last 2 on supply, so I've seen my fair share of schools and systems. Furthermore, I'm studying an MA in Learning Technology, and have grown up using Apple (I'm using my Macbook Pro right now).

You can be almost certain that the school's network will be running on Microsoft Windows 7 or 10, and there's a 95% chance that their interactive whiteboard software will be either Smart Notebook, or Promethean's ActivStudio/ActivInspire. You sound more than tech-savvy enough, and seriously, none of these things should be of any worry to you - they've got very intuitive dragging and resizing interfaces, and the toolbars are particularly familiar if you've ever done any image editing (Pixelmator, Photoshop, GIMP, even Paint etc).

Using Windows is also a doddle nowadays - it's becoming more like OSX with each version. As for the interactive whiteboard software, although individual training is hard to come by, the good news is that both Smart Notebook and ActivStudio/ActivInspire have Mac versions that are identical to their PC counterparts. The best thing you could do would be to send the school a quick email asking which version they're using (each class will likely use the same), and then download a free trial version (usually full functionality but limited to 30 days) from the net and just play around at home (there are plenty of Youtube tutorials if you're ever stuck for inspiration).

Smart Notebook trial software is available here, and Promethean's ActivInspire is here.

You could even ask the school if they have their software's product key to hand, so that you can get going at home - I'm sure they'd be more than happy to share it with you and be impressed by how keen you are!

Hope that's of some help - have fun!

-Iain

Got 3 minutes? Help out with my MA Learning Tech research & spread the word here!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@indiemuppet - please do not include this link in your posts - it is getting perilously near to spamming the forums . . .

Thank you