1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interactive Whiteboard Question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mazjak, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hi, can anyone answer a quick question for me please.
    I have an interview lesson on Monday and am preparing a powerpoint presentation to use on the interactive whiteboard. It is some years since I used one as I am trying to return to teaching after a 5 year break!
    I have prepared a slide with some clipart pictures on, and want the children to move them around on the board - will they be able to do this on the IWB in powerpoint? Obviously I don't have any smartboard software on my laptop at home. I can move them around with my mouse on the screen so am assuming it should work the same using a finger on the IWB?
    Many thanks

2. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

You can but not in a slide show, you should be able to download SmartNotebook free, or at least for 30 days (so enough for you to prepare for your interview.)

3. Thank you. Am downloading SmartNotebook now! So if I save what I create in SmartNotebook onto a usb stick should it work on the school's laptop? Or do I need to take my own laptop in? Would they even want me plugging my own laptop into their whiteboard? Sorry for all the questions, I'm not very up with technology!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Only if you have a 'macros enabled Powerpoint'- don't know much about these- at present use a Powerpoint with them enabled and alter the words/pictures. (One of the many skills I need to teach myself.)
    But yes in Smatrboard make sure you do Individual pictures and they move around just fine!

5. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

They should have if they have a Smart Board. Your laptop wont work with the board unles you've installed drivers.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I usually put it on to a memory stick and ask to use a school laptop.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We aren't interviewing on Monday, but if you tried you wouldn't be able to use it in my room, nor in several others.

Although I have some kind of IWB it isn't a smart one and isn't actually interactive. I also don't have smartnotebook on my laptop.

Several classrooms do have smartboards in them, but not all are actually interactive. This means children need to use the laptop mouse to move anything. And a fair number of laptops don't have smartnotebook on them.

Just make sure you have a back up plan or it could all go pear shaped.

8. Thank you all for your replies. I think I will take it in on the usb stick and ask to borrow a laptop but if that is not possible I will have all the resources I need on pieces of card to move around on an easel type board instead. It is horrible planning to teach somewhere you are not familiar with!