1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interactive starters and plenaries - share good practice here

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Mar 25, 2008.

1. 6 | Posted by: psycho_jo at 19 Apr 2008 13:24

I sometimes do a warm up based on this. I have a beach ball with vocab, connectives, openers and punctuation stuck on. The children throw it to one another and where their right hand lands, they use that word/punctuation in a sentence. The chidlren then compete to up-level it and then the best one gets the next turn with the ball. Great S&L exercise and they now routinely use much improved sentences.

2. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Jigsaw pieces
    Print and laminate some pictures of something related to your topic (could be flowers for science, for example). Cut them up into 4/5 pieces. Give these out to children during the starter and get them to find other people who match with them to make up the picture (for younger children, you could always have the original picture on a desk, so they have to find the desk). This can put the chn into mixed ability groups or could be your starter whereby they have to discuss the relevance or answer a question related to the topic. Hope that makes sense. Mine absolutely loved this (and HT did too!).

4. love that last one, Jog on are all these on the wikispace?

5. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Think they might need updating, but most are on there at the moment.

6. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I'm thinking of using the beach ball with a year 1 class- however wondering if it is possible to buy one where I can slot things in rather than the preprinted ones.

Also does anyone have any ideas for starters and pleanries which are suitable for KS1, the majority of ideas here relate to KS2/3.
    Thanks

7. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Did you find one, Sara?
    I think a lot of the ideas can easily be adapted for KS1. What subject area are you looking for specifically?

8. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Just bumping up this thread and reminding you that the ideas can be found here: https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Interactive-Starters-and-Plenaries-3012063/review/1/
    What's your favourite from the ideas here?

9. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

10. Thanks Jog On this is a good reminder of some useful ideas.

11. I have 2 and if mentioned Im sorry.
    Connectives Tennis - This can be done in KS1/2 and basically its pairing the children up and the warm-up is just hitting/saying a connective to their partner who returns a different connective and so on. Then they move to hitting/saying a connective and the return must use that connective in an oral sentence. Always good if the teacher encourages some over the top stretching at the start.
    PING-PONG - I do this in KS1. Teacher says PING, class responds with PONG. Repeat this then move to the teacher saying a number and the class respond with the double. This can be done to include decimals, etc, so can be used in KS2. Reverse it to PONG-PING to halve.[​IMG]

12. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Thank you - great suggestions there! :)

13. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Ping pong is great! I use that - I give the children 3 seconds to 'pong' the ball back to me and have a first to 5 or 10. You can use this for literacy too. Ping pong synonyms is a good one!

Cheers
    David

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Realise this is an old thread but as the site is going to be revamped soon and looking through my hotlist, just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to all contributors on this thread. Especially so to Bluerose and jog_on for all their hard work with this.