1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interactive starters and plenaries - share good practice here

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Mar 25, 2008.

1. saw this on another thread and wondered if it could be useful here
    Posted by: MrsJenny at 27 Mar 2008 22:14

try football it works for most topics u draw up a pitch with 5 lines running across it for marking draw goals, put the 'ball' in the middle and put the children in 2 groups or teams. They can either work as a team to answer questions or u can pick some out individually from each team if they get a question right they get to move a line across and if they get 3 in a row they get to shoot to save the other team must get their question right. This is a fun and interactive lesson and u can gauge the questions to ability if they have individual questions. A mix of both is the best way to work. If this sounds confusing try it out as it is really effective and the children dont realise they are learning as much when it is so fun. Any questions drop me an email jennybop@hotmail.co.uk

2. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Nice idea - thanks :)

3. In Y5 my pupils play multiplication and division pick and mix and LOVE IT! We have a box with all the chn's names in (use for mixed ability groups), the chn stand in a very large circle as there are 34 of them, and the take it in turns to pick a name out of the box. They ask the chosen person a mult. or div. question and the other has to answer it in a given time, decided at start of the game. They enjoy playing it as are a very competitive class but I can assess their mult. div. facts by their answers and by the questions that they ask. It takes a while to get aound the circle and sometimes has taken a week's MOS to complete.

4. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Lovely idea! Thank you :)

5. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Split the class or a group into 2. Ask them to choose a member of their group to be the "guinea pig". Have a series of cards/posters/items on either a table or stuck on the wall. Each "guinea pig" is given a fly swat. You ask them a question and they must swat the answer as quickly as possible...the one who loses must go back to group and they choose someone else. One who wins must answer again (maximum of 3 goes).

Active and fun...just don't give it to a violent class...you can imagine the scene!

6. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

TaskMagic is brilliant for starters and plenaries with a whiteboard, or for class work on PCs. It makes loads of different games automaticaly based on your own words, pictures or texts. It's not a freebie, but there is a free 30 day trial download: www.taskmagic.co.uk (It just stops working after 30 days, there's no registration or anything, and if you like it you can order a licensed version.)

7. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Thanks for the heads up.

How much is it normally?

8. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

Single user £109 or site licence £199 (for a primary school).

9. iceni

iceni New commenter

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. Love it.

10. I have had a quick look and don't think this one hase been posted yet, sorry if it has.

Volcanoes and lakes:

Draw a volcano and a lake on the IWB and think of a rule (i.e. odd numbers go in the volcano and even numbers go in the lake, multiples of 4 go in the volcano and every other number goes in the lake).

Ask the children to give you numbers (give them a range to avoid stupid numbers) and then place their number in the volcano or the lake depending on the rule.

The children have to guess the ule for the numbers in the volcano.

Once the children are used to the game, you can get them to come out and lead a round.

11. are you keeping your resource uptodate Jog on?

a bit like the noun adjective game described earlier but in teams and alphabetical

Two teams each team member given letter of alphabet and an opponent on other team has same letter (can choose to miss a few eg x)

but this time one person names a noun beginning with a and other person needs an adjective with same letter, next pair have b etc but this time other team starts with noun since this is easier.
    1 point for noun 2 for adjective- if person cant get an adjective thrown open to own team for 1 point

12. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Had a day off yesterday ;)

Have got it up to date on computer and will be uploading to site soon :D

Thanks for all of the suggestions - keep them coming!

13. jog on see what happens when you start a task like this.
    Theres some new planning to improve on the wikispace too

14. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Ok, am putting updated document on now :)

15. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

updated doc is on outstanding wiki...will upload it onto the resource bank now :)

16. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

17. thank you

18. This is an excellent thread and I am suitably inspired!
    Just wondering...when I teach maths (I'm training, btw) I do a starter every time but rarely do a starter for other lessons, and haven't seen a lot of obvious starters done for other lessons by other teachers.
    Generally I see, and teach, a longer intro, main activity and then plenary - except for maths when theres a starter tacked on the front.
    I now want to do more punchy starters for other lessons (also inspired by Pie Corbett's Jumpstart Literacy book) but was wondering how often people do starters for, say, literacy.
    Would you usually do a starter, or just every now and then?
    I'm yr 4 at the moment, btw.
    Thanks
    FF

19. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I would suggest doing the sentence/word/spelling/vocab work as a starter and make it really fun. That's what I try to do anyway!

Anyone else?

Thanks for positive comments...glad this has been found useful :)

20. Good question. I think it's nice to have some kind of starter activity for all lessons if possible, to 'set the mood'. Here are some things I have done recently:

Geography: 5-min exploration of Google Earth (e.g. linking to locations, rivers/canals/seas, finding bridges etc., landscapes, climate - lots of areas can be covered here)

Music: singing a song and recapping basic musical features like pulse and rhythm... Or 'musical instrument of the week': find a clip on YouTube of, e.g. a sax player, a drummer, whatever!

Literacy: countdown word game!