1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Interactive starters and plenaries - share good practice here

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Anyone got any good suggestions? Sometimes I think I plan tedious starters and plenaries, so was thinking we could set up a bank of ideas here. Sorry if this has been covered recently.

Pass the parcel - at the end of the lesson, chn sit in a circle and pass a box around the circle containing Qs. When the music stops, child with the box picks out a Q and answers it (you can fix this easily by having list of Qs and order they come in, so then you will know the difficulty of the Q and who it would be suitable for). Guess this could also work as a starter - provide statements and get chn to put them into a PE hoop labelled "I agree" or "I disagree".

2. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Thought I would up this now that there are far more people online!

3. like that idea and idea of thread, loop cards are good for maths but could be used for any subject really.
    Or how about using agree with or disagree with idea but kids have to get up and move to sides of room

4. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Yes...like the idea of them going to different areas of the room.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I do beat the teacher. Everyone (teacher included) has a mini-whiteboard and pen. Teacher gives a calculation (I tend to use it for grid method practice) and pupils and teacher start doing it. I either give them the time it takes me plus 1 min, or set a timer on the IWB to do it. They love it! Means you gte instant feedback as to how they are doing and it gives them competition to be the first with correct answer.

For a plenary I do the 'box game' child comes up to the front and steps into the imaginary box (but there's no reason why it couldn't be real!), they then can't leave until they get a question correct.

Also do hard/medium/easy/mega hard - I start by picking someone, and give them a medium question, they then get to pick next person and level of difficulty, of course they always pick hard or mega hard for them to do so it's a good way to test them on other stuff and you're not picked on for choosing the 'victims'

I've also done things like making them all close their eyes and then going round the room and removing 3 posters or bits of displays and then they have to open eyes and figure out what was missing (obviously you remove something worthwhile not a bit of decoration!) Helps them learn to visualise the posters/displays to use in their learning at other times.

6. lets make this an Easter project and create a great resource booklet for resource area from it

How about Bingo again maths is obvious but can be for other subjects and kids love it

Blockbusters as teams

7. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Loto in French is fun!

8. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Is there an online blockbusters anywhere? All you would need to do is make a bank of Qs for a particular subject, isn't it? Would you get chn to stay at their tables and ask each table a Q in turn or sit on carpet and split them in half/into groups?

9. I think the beat the teacher idea of Trinity's is fab. Used it alot in sport and the children always love it. I can imagine making loads of mistakes in maths after a long night marking!

Our favorite starter at the moment is mental chain.

Start with a number say 5
    + 12 = 17 Keep that number in you head, then
    x 2 = 34 then

+ 2

and so on. Make a chain of about 10 calculations each working on from the previous. Loads of opportunities to include what you are working at. My top set Y4 can find 3/5 of 40, square root of 36, 20% of 60 mentally.

Sometimes we talk through the questions so I know they understand sometimes there is no help.

If they need thinking time they put their hand in the air. If they have got lost they put both hands on their heads. It's just a visual thing so that I know when to move on to the next question and they don't mind doing it as it means there is not noise in the room to interrupt their thinking.

As mentioned on another thread their mental work is really good in Rising Stars results. Written work needs attention now!

Hope that makes sense.

10. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Sounds like a really good idea.

11. to buy for VCOP http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3100...

http://www.teachers-direct.co.uk/resources/quiz-busters/s...

who wants to be millionairre
    http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/online/powerpoint/milli...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MILLIONAIRE-CUSTOMIZABLE-PowerPoint...

6 | Posted by: paisley0403 at 15 Dec 2006 21:43

I have a blockbusters game on powerpoint as well as weakest link. I use these to recap previous work done before introducing the lessons objectives. They are in TES resources or at least they were.
    Of course you can adapt them for any lesson. I have used them for history and geog to. (year 5)

http://teach.fcps.net/trt10/PowerPoint.htm

12. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Ok...have bought that from ebay - thanks :)

13. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Am putting together the document to go in the resource bank.

Anyone else got any ideas? Keep them coming (even at this late hour ;)!

14. myrtle

myrtle Occasional commenter

Mystery number game - sure you all know about this one already!

First time the teacher picks the number and says something like, "It's a number between 0 and 300," the children then need to use good maths language to work out what the number is, they get 7 goes to find it, sometimes I give them a 'magic guess,'....it's good for using various strategies and also a memory test as to 'waste' a question by not thinking or remembering isn't good!

15. Fizz Buzz is still a good game
    For benefit of the resource youre creating Jog on thats a game whereby pupils count around a circle if number is a multiple of 5 they dont say number they say fizz, they say buzz for multiples of 10 and fizz buzz for multiples of both- oohh that doesnt sound right what did i do wrong there

16. in pairs or teams with or without dictionaries they have a start word and next word in list has to start with last letter (or letters) of previous word eg helpful- lovely- yoghurt

to make harder could insist on a subject area for words to fit too or word type eg adjectives only(not adverbs as all end y in main!!)

17. have set of words and definitions (good for literacy but also for science vocab or other topic vocab)
    * hand out and kids move around trying to find their partner word/definition
    * use to play bingo cards have words teacher reads definitions
    * call my bluff
    * on table how quick can you match them all
    * use later as pairs game in independent time

18. plenary
    put up small set of calculations linked to LO and get them to spot mistakes
    or word problems again put in some mistakes linked to things kids often do wrong and get them to spot the mistakes