1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interactive display ideas

Discussion in 'Music' started by cg82, Jul 5, 2011.

1. You could use digital postcards or digital speech bubbles which are white, flat voice recorders with built in mics. They have between eight and ten second play back features, so you could record a short melody and display it on your board with some questions based on the piece. One step further; get your g and t to record the piece, then set the questions.

2. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

I've got a listening wall in my classroom, which is just a big blank display board at the start of the year, to which students add to throughout the year. I got a load of those flourescent coloured star shaped card pieces (from the pound shop actually!) and students have to write on each week about a new piece of music that they have listened to - their thoughts on it, would they recommend it to others etc.

I also have a Questions wall - just with a title at the top which says "Got a question? Ask it!". Sometimes students are afraid to ask a question in class/ it might be very off topic - so they have the option of writing it on a post-it note during the lesson and then sticking it to the question wall at the end of the lesson. Other students (G&T/ A-level students) then scribble solutions to the question next to it. It makes a really interesting display which is very interactive, and there are often some fantastic, thought provoking questions up there.

3. musicheart

musicheart New commenter

I had a similar query and had some interesting replies to my plea for help!

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/455755/6286841.aspx#6286841

I decided to put up a display which involves a weekly question - at the moment it is 'write down an interesting fact about the Beatles' and pupils write their statement on a post-it note and stick it up on the board. I made up lots of 'vote now', 'have your say' etc. titles to go around the board. Other topics have included favourite song, favourite band, which is more musical - beatboxing or rapping.
    The Head loved it and it got a big tick!
    Good luck.

4. I just need to remind everyone that "creating and managing displays" is a prohibited task under the work load agreement negotiated with the government 5 years ago - the one that has stopped us doing cover in all but the most emergency cases. Teachers are not required to create displays. If you are asked to do this by management and you agree you are undermining the rest of the agreement.
    I have a new music room and specificlaly asked that no display boards be included in the build - there are none on my walls at all - so much neater.

5. Thank you for the suggestions and the link. I won't be "creating and managing" the display as we are fortunate enough to have an Arts faculty technician who will do that for me.