1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

interactive assembly for 30 mins - help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kate1886, Apr 17, 2016.

1. kate1886

kate1886 New commenter

Hi
    Please can I have ideas for a KS2 60 pupil assembly that needs to be interactive?
    Has anyone done this and got some good ideas to keep things going for 30 mins?

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Try assemblies.org.uk. I get most of mine from there. Quality is hit and miss sometimes but I always manage to find one. It also has a useful search button.

However 30 minutes is way too long. Would you like to sit on the floor for that long? Mine are always 15 minutes and include a song linked to the assembly theme.

3. kate1886

kate1886 New commenter

thanks for your reply. I know 30 minutes is too long, however I have been told that's how long it is - which is why I have asked for ideas!! It needs to be as interactive as possible.

4. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

All of my assemblies are about 15 minutes long as well.

Does it have to be themed at all or could it be on anything?
    If you can do anything, I would write up quiz questions and conduct a quiz of some sort. :p

5. kate1886

kate1886 New commenter

A quiz sounds good, thanks. It can be on anything!

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Is this for an interview?

7. kate1886

kate1886 New commenter

Yes, it is.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Our assemblies are often 30 mins when led by classes/children.
    So long as it is interesting, 30 mins is fine. And with just 60 children you should be fine.

Out of the Ark have some great 'words on screen' songs. So you can use one relevant to your assembly and not worry if they children don't know it...the DVD plays the music and the words appear karaoke style.

If you search in resources on here, there are heaps of assemblies.

Get children up to the front to read something out, show something, act, whatever.
    Maybe have a quiz or competition of some kind.

9. mandybear212

mandybear212 New commenter

30 minutes is long. Can you split it up into two interactive shorter scenes, etc.?

10. mandybear212

mandybear212 New commenter

I know a school that does spelling bees. It could take up 30 minutes and its intriguing.

11. kate1886

kate1886 New commenter

thanks. I think I'm going to do collaboration/teamwork. showing funny teamwork videos, inviting pupils up to demonstrate some teamwork activities, more clips, another activity, then a quiz maybe about teams, then a song from out of the ark. Any other ideas though would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all of your help so far.

12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Good luck.

13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

You see .... please don't take this the wrong way but - This is a public forum. You are asking for ideas. What if another candidate sees this and copies them? Or the interview panel sees this? I think the reason they have set this task is too see you in action, interacting with children as you. It's not necessarily going to be about the central idea but more about what you demonstrate of your manner and personality. Go for something that matters to you. That is unique to you.

14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Try to get them moving, maybe standing up to agree or disagree, or holding up right or left hand. Better than sitting on the floor still and more interactive.

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

How about rejecting an interview at a school which asks you to do this in the first place ! Sorry I am Secondary but I just think there are better uses of your ( and their ) time. There's a useful way to show how you interact with children - I think it's called teaching.

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Most teachers in a primary school have to take assemblies. It is not an unreasonable request, especially if the post is for a senior leadership job. I do think that 30 mins is a long time though. The school should have a long term plan for assemblies. Can you find out the theme for the week and link your assembly to that?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes I had to do a fair few myself when I was still teaching just that this activity seems to be about ( interactive ) style over substance - perhaps a lot of Assemblies are !