1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intentions of applying for new post

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by AKhan007, Aug 28, 2019.

1. AKhan007

AKhan007 New commenter

I’ve seen a post that I really want to apply for and closing date is 6 Sept with interviews scheduled for the week after. I have started the application. My concern is do I email the head to inform them of my intentions of applying or shall I wait till Monday and talk to them then?

I hate these situations! I feel that the head may think that I’m not committed to my role or the school and children and may be awkward with me. Parts of me says not to apply for it and save myself of any awkwardness etc

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Sprak face to face on Monday.

3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

It’s a tricky one because, to be fair, by saying you are applying for a new job you are saying that you are not committed to your current role. Not long term. That doesn’t mean that you won’t conduct it to the best of your ability while you are there though.
    Your head should continue to be professional but it does change things on some level. It’s hard for it not to.

phlogiston and 01ade like this.
  4. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

I agree. There is nothing your head can do now that they can’t do next week.

5. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Speak to HT face to face next week, ahead of the deadline. You can then give more context around reasons for applying to him or her.

In the meantime, just demonstrate your commitment to current role through your actions within it. That’s what HT will look for, regardless of any view on you looking at other roles.

Just be prepared for the odd feeling as plans are made to replace you, should you be successful. It’s not awkwardness or rejection, it’s just how it will be as the school looks to it’s future too. It can be a weird feeling, particularly when you’re still dedicated to your role until you leave.

6. Counterpart

Counterpart New commenter

I'm in the same situation. I intend speaking to the HT. I think that we need to be level headed in these situations. We are entitled to apply for posts to progress our careers, make 'side-ways' moves or even leave if we're not happy in our job. Don't question yourself about not applying for the reason stated. It may be that you decide not to but remember that you/I are in control of these decisions. If we don't do things due to them creating awkward situations then we have lost hope I fear. If results don't go well would they hesitate to say that something needs to be done? I hope this has come across in the way intended - do what is right for you!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can do all the "I love working here, I've gained so much from working with this team" bit as well as explaining that you want to widen your experience / apply for promotion / work closer to home / whatever the reason is. I think it's hardest to explain a sideways move, but actually for those wanting to rise up the ranks in the future, it's probably good to get experience in different schools.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Assuming the OP has been at the school for a year or more (i.e. a reasonable time), I can't see why a HT would object if the new post was a promotion; or nearer to the Op's home/where they want/need to live or offered more career advancement...

So speak on Monday, and have your reasons ready.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Good teachers move on. It's a fact of an HT's life. There won't be a problem. If you can speak face to face you can explain what the new job might offer and can suggest what aspects of your work your HT might be kind enough to emphasise if a reference is called for.

10. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

I am sure your HT would not think twice about leaving if they found a better job. Go for it and don't worry if HT starts to apply any moral blackmail. It will be an act for their own benefit.
    Then you will see their true colours and you are definitely better off leaving.

notreallyme75 likes this.
  11. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

Schools with high teacher mobility can become known for one of two things - a place with unsettled staff (often but not always due to poor management) or a place to go to grow and develop and then move on. I've worked in both. A reputation based on the latter will attract strong applicants.

12. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Arrange for a quick meeting on Monday but drop them an email now to ask if you can arrange this at a time that is convenient to them.