1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intense toothache when flying

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by bnm, Aug 19, 2007.

1. bnm

bnm

Sometimes when I'm flying and the plane hits a certain altitude I get excrutuating pain in my teeth. This pain moves round a bit and after 2 visits to the dentist (re-doing fillings) and a chat with a pharmacist we think it's due to the eustachian tube not working properly.

Last time I knocked back 4 paracetemols with gin to try to take the edge off it, and massaged just behind my lower ear. As usual, once the plane descended the pain disappeared.

Anyway, I'm flying again on Wednesday and am really starting to dread flights because of this pain.

Anyone got any ideas of what might help?

(Am going to take ibuprofen as recommended by pharmacist anyway, but doubt if it will have much effect.)

2. bnm

bnm

Sometimes when I'm flying and the plane hits a certain altitude I get excrutuating pain in my teeth. This pain moves round a bit and after 2 visits to the dentist (re-doing fillings) and a chat with a pharmacist we think it's due to the eustachian tube not working properly.

Last time I knocked back 4 paracetemols with gin to try to take the edge off it, and massaged just behind my lower ear. As usual, once the plane descended the pain disappeared.

Anyway, I'm flying again on Wednesday and am really starting to dread flights because of this pain.

Anyone got any ideas of what might help?

(Am going to take ibuprofen as recommended by pharmacist anyway, but doubt if it will have much effect.)

3. 4 paracetomol is too much to take at one time - you need to be careful.
    I would've thought you'd be better with something like sudafed and a nasel spray such as Otrivine.

4. bnm

bnm

Thank-you for your comments, mandala.

The pharmacist thought things to clear sinuses wouldn't really work for my problem. However, I did look at sudafed dual relief but it also contains paracetemol so I thought I shouldn't take it with ibuprofen.

(I don't normally take 4 paracetemol at once but I was in such pain....)

5. Bsmirched

Bsmirched New commenter

At last! Someone else who gets this! I also get the pain in my forehead too. I now take some painkillers about an hour before coming in to land (that's when I get it) have a shot of Sudafed nasal spray up each nostril and then chew airways chewing gum for all I'm worth during the landing. It makes me look like Vicky Pollard but the constant chewing and swallowing, plus massage of affected areas staves off the worst.

B x

6. bnm

bnm

You have my full sumpathies, Bsmirched. The pharmacist did also suggest chewing so I've bought some wine gums: I hope they will help.

7. pain in teeth is due to air expanding, its not common but can happen, pain in the jaw can be due to sinus problems, lemsip is the cure all we use, I flew in may with a very heavy cold and dosed up on lemsip, it was noisy (all the clicking, squeaking and gurgling from my sinuses) but is was painless

8. Chewing gum not wine gums, would be better.

9. Instead of taking Ibuprofen take Nurofen (sp) as you can take this with Sudafed.

10. Lol - Nurofen is just posh Ibuprofen!

11. ibuprofen+paracetomol is fine - whereas too much paracetomols is not - and yes nurofen is jusr branded,more expensive ibuprofen! do look at the strenght though as it tends to be sold in 200 and 400 mg strengths. watch out for things with codeine is at that can make you sleepy. I agree it is likely to be either sinus or ear or both. blocked sinus often mimics toothache so that makes sense.

12. bnm

bnm

Thanks all for your comments.

Just been told at the hospital (bashed my toe in this morning!) that I can take paracetemol with ibuprofen so I think I'll take both just before we take off, and chew with all my might.

13. bnm

bnm

Update:

Took ibuprofen and paracetemol and chewed for all I was worth.

Total agony in lower jaw on way out and upper jaw on way back. Also pain in balloon and cable car while on hols.

Went to docs this morning who's sending me for sinus X-ray.

Went to dentist this afternoon who did X-ray and said my sinuses look clear and has given me some tooth mousse to put on every day. He says he can always take out te roots of my teeth and put fillings in.

Here's hoping someone can find out what the problem is.

14. A root filling ... had one of those.

15. bnm

bnm

Was it very horrible?

He's talking about 3 at least.

16. root canal surgery isnt that bad :) no worse than a regular filling i reckon. i think i have had 4 done.

17. bnm

bnm

Thanks, bladey.

I'm a big coward when it comes to dentists but anything has to be better than the pain.

18. bnm its not like an ordinary filling.

19. Sorry this is a bit late but it might help in for future journeys!
    I have had this exact problem since i was 10. After many trials of peoples suggestions i found that Sudafed Dual Relief works wonders - no paracetemol taken with it, just two sudafeds about an hour before you get on the plane and depending on the length of the journey another dose before landing (i am particularly bad on the landing).

I haven't had any contact with dentist/doctor about this as i just presumed it was one of those things i am sensitive to, i have always had sinus weaknesses - easily get infections and congested etc.

Aswell as the pain i also lose hearing for a day or so after flying (my ears just don't pop so my hearing is muffled) and after a couple of hours they pop and i'm fine - before taking the sudafed this was at least 24hours. Another thing that has always helped is to have headphones plugged in to my ears - can only presume it reduces the speed that the air pressure changes. (for the takeoff and landing i usually just disconnect from the mp3 player and show the stewards and they are fine!)

Hope it helps for future flights.

20. It sounds to me like you have a tiny air pocket under one of your teeth. When air pressure changes, when you descend this will cause paid as the air pocket changes in size, pressing on a nerve. The pain will feel as though it moves all around your mouth as it presses on the nerve endings. The pain will pass when enough air has been released and the air pocket returns back to its normal size. Obviously air trapped in a fill will have a similar effect.
    Taking drugs will only mask the pain. Speak to a Diving doctor, this is a not so common problem with divers, but they will offer you some good advice that your GP wouldn't know.