1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Intellectual Property Copyright

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Jul 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

About ten years ago in a company suggestion scheme I suggested a new (unique ) product I named 'Chill out Pills' that were designed to be sucked while relaxing to 'chill out music'. The company I worked for were not interested but said a sister company might be interested in developing the idea. I thought for a while before claiming intellectual property copyright on the ingredient list / idea and a share in the profits if it came to market.
    Anyone out there had a similar experience in the world of education ?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I shared an idea with a member of SLT once.. they then claimed it as their own and I got zero credit...

Now I keep quiet.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"I shared an idea with a member of SLT once.. they then claimed it as their own and I got zero credit..."

Happened to me on more than one occasion - same HoD each time. So the next time I thought of something, I went direct to the Head. Guess whose idea it turned into...?

So I kept quiet, like Lanokia.

A wise old owl sat in an oak.
    The more he heard, the less he spoke.
    The less he spoke, the more he heard.
    Why can't we all be like that bird?

neddyfonk and lanokia like this.
  4. neddyfonk

My ideas were all written on forms with dates / signatures, backed up by e-mails that are date stamped by default. The moral is never to suggest things you want the credit for verbally, use e-mail with a few cc's to leave no one in any doubt where the idea originated.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, yes! About five years ago I suggested to a company that produces executive gadgets that they make a small hand held three winged spinning device, designed to be spun very fast during any learning experience. I had called this device a "Fidget Spinner" and whilst the company said to my face it was a definite "no", I came to realise very soon how I had been exploited, discarded, and technically speaking, intellectually abused.

Your sensible post on basic caution and prudence is one more reminder of why I still kick myself on a daily basis.

6. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

If you are an employee, any intellectual property normally belongs to your employer. E. G. the people who developed PowerPoint can't claimit as theirs because it was their idea

7. neddyfonk

Not quite true: Only if the idea/invention is a result of your normal job and was designed / documented at work. My ideas fell into neither category ( I worked in IT and did the paperwork at home )

8. neddyfonk

By-the-by, If anyone sees a packet/tub called 'Chill out pills' would you be so kind as to inform me so I can take action ( reward will be proportional to the financial gains to me (at least a fiver ? ))