1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Integration of Parametric Equations

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by gainly, Mar 25, 2019.

1. gainly

gainly Established commenter

This is not included in the Pearson textbook but it is included in the specification, although only in the guidance.

Students will be expected to be able to evaluate the area of a region bounded by a curve and given straight lines, or between two curves. This includes curves defined parametrically.

One of the students I tutor told me they had completed the syllabus at school but they haven't done this. I just thought I should point out that it is required, in case anyone has missed this. I don't know why it's not in the textbook, it used to be in C4.

2. gainly

I should have explained I'm referring to Edexcel A level maths.

3. BG54

BG54 New commenter

This sentence was added as one of the edits in the January 2018 edition of the Pearson A-level spec and that may explain its absence from the Year 2 Pearson textbook, my copy of which is a 2017 print. It may also explain the slightly bemused expression on the face of my Year 13 student the other week when I went through one of those old C4 questions with her as part of a parametrics lesson.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

vickygreensmith and BG54 like this.
  5. BG54

BG54 New commenter

6. gainly

7. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

Am I missing something here? I thought the pure maths content for all boards was meant to be common. I cannot see anything about integrating parametric equations in the MEI spec.

8. adamcreen

Esentially they are the same, but exam boards can choose to put different emphases on things. MEI obviously felt they didn't need to include parametric integration and Ofqual were fine with that. Edexcel decided to include it, but FORGOT to put it in their specification, OR the textbook.
    See also: Core Pure proof by induction: Edexcel sets questions on recurrence relations, but again not specified in the spec or the textbook

MarshJ likes this.
  9. DamianR

DamianR New commenter

AQA don't mention this explicitly in their specification either. However, in the latest update to their teaching guidance, under the specification heading "Carry out simple cases of integration by substitution ...", they include "find the area under a curve given in parametric form."
    I wonder whether Ofqual made clear that the awarding bodies should include this, prompting this change, and also whether MEI could have questions on it, even if it's not mentioned explicitly.

Many thanks to adamcreen for uploading the relevant links.

10. gainly

Hi Adam,

Thank you for posting the extra pages. I know that you are compiling a list of errors in the textbooks. The seems to be another error in the extra pages. I believe the answer to 3(b) should be 58.9 rather than 61.85.

baller4life likes this.
  11. adamcreen

12. o8

o8 New commenter

I have also had one of the students I tutor say exactly the same thing. Their teacher has now covered the topic but only taught the method of integrating y(x) not y(t) dx/dt.dt.