1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Integrating Trends into the Design Curriculum

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by BenjaminSully, Mar 3, 2016.

1. BenjaminSully

BenjaminSully New commenter

Hi All,

I'm a final year Product Design student at Loughborough University and as part fulfilment of my degree I am required to do a dissertation.

My dissertation involves the integration of trends into the design curriculum, using the current trend of the internet of things as an example.

Currently universities adapt quickly to trends, creating new degrees and new fields of research. This creates an issue though, as with emergence of new technology comes the limited amount of prior knowledge. This is why I believe a subject area within design which enables growth throughout the academic career is required. So to effectively create a design curriculum that adapts with trends I need to understand the current constraints and possibilities the curriculum has at an early stage. To do this who I require the thoughts of GCSE and A level design teachers, so if you fit that criteria please can you fill in my questionnaire. It should take 8 minutes and every submission is a big help.

Questionnaire: Link

Thank you,

2. re

re New commenter

KS3 constraints - the national curriculum.
    KS4 & 5 constraints - the exam board specifications

Without success in the latter, my subject would rapidly fail. As far as I am aware, there is no 'internet of things' on any exam board specification so teaching it is a waste of precious time. I also, inter alia, don't really see a great deal of relevance to product design. OK, you could have a smaller fridge if it was constantly being re-stocked from Tesco, but that's pretty esoteric for many of even our A level kids. Smart clothes, watches etc. have already been designed and are more about software than hardware at this stage - perhaps systems analysis might be relevant.

3. BenjaminSully

BenjaminSully New commenter

Thanks for your feedback, just to clarify this looks theoretically as a separate subject within the design curriculum.

This whole idea came from the definition of product design by Cambridge dictionaries as "the process of creating or improving a product by learning what consumers want and examining similar products that are already available"

4. re

re New commenter

You are talking about Technology Push, which has nothing to do with this (very limited) definition of product design. A classic example is the I-Pad - a totally revolutionary product that had nothing to do with consumer wants at the time of its launch.

Some A level specifications include an element of blue sky thinking and design but most of the marks come down, in the end, to what you design and make.