1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Integrating international students at boarding school

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sandybeach85, Jun 5, 2017.

1. sandybeach85

sandybeach85 New commenter

My new role will be to help international students integrate more in an independent boarding school, as in the past they have not integrated at all and are not interested in integrating.

Although, I have some ideas of how to help them integrate I was wondering how I could measure it. How could I measure it before the implementation of new procedures and after etc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Participation rates of different groups in sports teams/theatrical productions/orchestras & choirs etc.? (And, indeed, all clubs & voluntary extra-curricula activities).

galerider123, pepper5 and jvassay like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Student feedback?

Numbers participating in clubs and societies?

galerider123 and jvassay like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

In addition to the ideas above.
    Measure things like the number of times they sit with your regular students at lunch or similar times.
    Amount of collaborative work with regular students during class group work.

jvassay and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. dts

dts Occasional commenter

What age group? If sixth-formers hoping to apply to UK universities, you could use the reference as a way to motivate participation in school life. Perhaps mock up a reference for someone who tried to get involved, and for someone who made no effort?

galerider123, jvassay and FrankWolley like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Then you will need to find out why they don't want to integrate and deal with that. Otherwise you are on to a loser before you even start.

lilachardy and galerider123 like this.
  7. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

How are you currently measuring that they don't integrate? Use the same method...

8. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Also, do you have a buddy system where home students are paired with international students? Do this carefully and it will work. Take note of student interests and match them accordingly. Organise trips and events for buddy pairs. Once they build friendships, everything else should follow. I really would encourage the home students to get to know the international students. Perhaps hold language / culture taster sessions to spark their interest. For example, are they Japanese? If so, a manga workshop could be a cool way to get both parties interested. Hope that helps!

jvassay and galerider123 like this.
  9. KChallenger

KChallenger New commenter

Hi
    I was curious how your new role went and what did you find that works particular well to support the integration?
    Thanks Kim

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

As they last logged in in September 2017, they may not see your question. :)