1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Integrated Day in Year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Stiltskin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

I've been asked to teach using the integrated day approach (as they do in EYFS) in year 6. At the moment planning is integrated (based around the same theme), but I present this as whole class subjects.

I am a little worried about making sure all the children are always learning on the independent tasks (e.g. literacy, history, science, art) whilst I am working with a group on maths. Also how do you make sure they get the right input for each subject, and deal with misconceptions quickly (in whole class teaching, as there all doing the same subject, I can pick up some of these from a quick scan round the room)?

I was wondering if anyone else has any experiences that they can share with me that would help, any things I need to make sure I do/don't do? Any tips on how to plan this approach would also be of help.

Thanks!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes I can see where you're coming from WolfPaul, but sometimes teaching is about providing positive learning environments for children to explore & yes, sometimes 'teach themselves' . Teaching needs to be child/ pupil-directed but sometimes more as a 'facilitator' rather than a 'director' orinstructor!

3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

....or, as it was known back in the 70s, "discovery learning". Been there, done that.
    Does it?

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

Thanks Lara, I shall take those comments in mind when I start planning this afternoon.

I am interested to see how well it will work, but at the same time worried that I've never taught this way before and I am being given no help/instruction in implementing it effectively (so the possible negative impact on the children). However as I have to follow this approach I can at least note the progress they have made through whole class teaching up until now, and compare it with the progress they make from now on.

Anyone have any tips/ideas on how to differentiate effectively in this approach?

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Plus ça change.....

6. Hi all,

I realise this is years later but I found this post so informative. Hoping that someone may pick this up...

I am a PGCE student in a Year 2 class that is currently using this style of teaching. I want to write a paper about this and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction- looking for academia, articles, points of interest etc. I will look at the Three Wise Men's Report and the 'Tyndale Affair'.

What are your thoughts on this? How did it go for you Stiltskin? Any positives from this (as many opinions seem negative)?

Please correct me if I'm wrong (which I think I am) but is there a similarity between integrated day and independent learning we see more of now?

In my class the children have a mini clip board with 10 tasks on, they must then use the week to complete the tasks. They do this in any order (though must be 2 a day minimum and one writing task in their book). 30 minute teaching episodes are fit within the week where children are taught the content and the teacher will take each group for group work throughout the week where they complete other work (usually associated with the 30 mins teaching episode or correcting misconceptions we have come across after marking/discussion etc.

Thank you for anyone who picks this up!

Jodi