1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by adurling, Apr 10, 2019.

1. adurling

adurling New commenter

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for peoples opinions, I work full-time self-employed as a private tutor in peoples homes. I have three kinds of insurance

Public liability insurance
    income protection insurance
    life insurance - this is more related to my house

I am aware that I'm spending close to £100 a month on these and am not sure about when, or whether I would be able to claim on them should a situation arise

I wondered what other people have? if any?

Thanks!

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

You need to read your policy details carefully, ie does your income protection only pay if you're seriously ill over a prolonged spell? I can't see it covering unemployment as you're self employed so is it worth it?

I'm only thinking of that one as the others shouldn't be very expensive.

3. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

If you're with a teacher's union they usually have great deals which are a lot cheaper.

4. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

I second the need to read your income protection cover carefully - unless you can prove you make a set amount each month, and have a serious long term condition, they are unlikely to pay out for self employed workers.
    Have you shopped around for public liability? I had a quite for £40 per year.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Public liability should be quite cheap and protects you if you damage someone's property or injure someone. You could end with a claim against you for £millions so keep the policy. Shop around though, cover is fairly similar from most insurers but costs - particularly their minimum premiums - can vary. See if your union offers a good deal.

The income protection policy is likely to be the expensive one. They are notorious for small print that excludes many claims. Do as others have advised and check it very carefully. Many do not protect self-employed people or have very restrictive conditions for them.

6. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I really can't see the need for insurance. I just go to peoples houses and help their kids. Why would I need insurance? How am I going to be responsible for injuring someone teaching maths? If I were teaching skydiving or fencing I could understand it. There is a myth that anyone can be sued for a ridiculous amount of money for no reason. It just isn't true. Only insurance companies benefit from these policies.

langteacher likes this.
  7. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I am looking at professional indemnity.

I don’t have any others.

8. Rott Weiler

Why? What exposure to PI claims have you identified?

9. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

Just playing safe.

10. Rott Weiler

I can't imagine how a PI claim could be brought against a tutor. If you want to play safe buying Public Liability insurance would be a better purchase. That risk is at least conceivable, albeit low.

11. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

A PI claim could be brought against a teacher assessor, although this is not intrinsically linked to the venue at which they work.