1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Patontheback, Sep 25, 2018.

  1. Patontheback

    Patontheback New commenter

    I am tutoring beginner and have found the advice on this forum very useful.
    What about insurance? What should I go for and where should I buy it?
  2. langteacher

    langteacher Occasional commenter

    Tell your house insurance Depending on how many you have in a week you may need an extension on your policy or you may need a new policy
    install likes this.
  3. sabram86

    sabram86 Occasional commenter

    There's no obligation as a sole trade to have insurance, but there are some specialist insurers. Some home insurance firms may only allow you to do admin at home. As I rarely teach in my own home, it's not an issue for me.
    install likes this.
  4. gainly

    gainly Star commenter

    If you're going to the students I don't think it's an issue. If you have quite a few coming to you probably you should contact your house insurance.
    install likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    You'd need to have Public Liability insurance though. It would cover you if you caused an accidental injury to someone at the student's house, or accidentally damaged something there. Or the cost of defending an allegation you did those things even if you didn't. Household policies normally exclude liability cover if the liability arises while you are there in the course of your business. They might extend the cover if you ask them, otherwise you'll have to buy a separate policy.

    Same if students come to your house.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

Share This Page