1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Insurance question?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by lizzieloolar, Aug 22, 2011.

  1. I currently work as TA and I'm also half way through a full-time degree in Learning and Teaching.
    I'm thinking of setting up as a private tutor to boost my income. Several parents have already asked me if I do this and have expressed an interest in me tutoring their children.
    I've been looking through the posts on this forum and have found lots of useful information to help me get started, but I'm unsure about the issue of insurance (I will be tutoring in the child's home rather than in my home).
    Do I need liability / indemnity insurance of any kind? (I'm not sure whether I am just being paranoid as my previous existence as a financial adviser required all sorts of things!!).
    All help appreciated!!
  2. Thanks. :0)
  3. This isn't accurate, PL insurance is optional and although recommended, certainly not required by law.
  4. Hi Lizzie,
    I work for Simply Business, an online insurance broker. Hopefully I can clarify some things.
    We strongly advice you to take out public liability insurance but you don't have to. The only "must have" insurance is employers' liability insurance if you employ staff. That's not the case.
    Public liability insurance covers the cost of claims made against you by members of the public who
    suffer injury or damage to property as a result of your teaching work.
    There is a minimum cover of £1m but your employers (schools, college or
    private business) may request a certain level of cover before hiring
    you. We offer up to £10m, which can be necessary for public sector
    I know that there are specific covers available such as equipment cover, legal cover etc. If you are unsure what to take out, talk to your insurance broker. If you are unsure if your broker provides you the advice you need, select another one. It's vital that you select the right cover.
  5. That was the information I was given and when I checked into it several sources verified it was required. Sorry if it is now inaccurate.
  6. Hi Lizzie.
    Did you get your questions answered?
    We're an insurance broker that can arrange insurance for teachers.
    We'd advise that you get public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance.
    I can see people have already explained the importance of public liability insurance. But you didn't get an answer to your professional indemnity question.
    Professional indemnity protects you against your negligence. E.g. An example as a private tutor could be that you're hired to get a pupil to a certain level and this doesn't happen.
    It will give you peace of mind that you have some protection if a claim of negligence was to happen.
    We'll happily answer any questions you have, and you may find the blog of our website helpful. Just google 'policybee'.
  7. MissStery

    MissStery New commenter

    Hello everyone

    I have an professional indemnity insurance question which I'm hoping someone out there can help me with.

    I currently work directly for a city council as an ESOL tutor, my contract is conditional so you can imagine that my financial security is pretty much zilch.

    I am free, however, to take on work with other organisations.

    My husband has recently lost his job, and I need to top up my income to tide us over until he finds employment.

    Following a successful application to a private exam board, I may have the chance of travelling to nearby regions assessing speaking and listening exams, it's not lucrative and I can expect to make no more than £800 from May through to July, plus expenses. I am expected to take out professional indemnity insurance for this period and am shocked at how much it is - £200 on average. This seriously makes the job less unattractive. Has anyone been an exam assessor, ideally for ESOL speaking and listening exams? I would love some straightforward advice! Is there a cheaper/worthwhile way of doing this?

Share This Page