1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance for tutors

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by hhhh, Nov 11, 2011.

1. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I am interested too, as owing to one to one teaching vanishing in our area I intend to start a business. How much is it per month? What must you do to 'prove' you are a fit tutor? Which companies are best? Would love different opinions.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You can get public liability insurance through the NUT - they have a link.
    As for indemnity insurance - I'm not sure. At the end of the day, you cannot guarantee how a child will do in a test. Despite all your best efforts, responsibility comes down to the child.

3. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

I was thinking the same about it being the student's responsibility to work hard too. And as I tutor mainly post-16, they are fully aware of what they need to do in terms of work/revision (and I remind them and their parent's of this regularly!) I'm assuming the indemnity insurance is more for people who are tutoring younger students to pass the 11+ exams for grammar/independent schools. But I may be wrong!!

4. I used to do tutoring many years ago and always told the parents every 2 months what grade I expected the student to get if they were not going to make it I would make it fairly clear.I had a 98% pass rate.