1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance Claim

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

So, I've had to claim for accident yesterday. As some of you may have read, I have whiplash and I was at hospital today and off work tomorrow too. I have reported all I can to insurance company and have already been contacted by a solicitors firm about personal loss and injury and a car company to investigate repairs to the car and to arrange a courtest car too.
    Just received a text from a mystery company (only a phone number and no company name mentioned) reading: Our records indicate you may be entitled to £3750 for the Accident you had. To claim for free reply AID to this message. To opt out text STOP.
    I'm wondering if it's standard practice for these firms to pass on details to others, particularly as it's already being dealt with. Is anyone able to shed any light? I've not replied either way yet.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'd ignore personally and use your insurance legal team or call a company with a good reputation if you're looking to claim. x

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

I'm afraid you can expect to be inundated with these texts and calls. The insurance companies, in spite of their protestations to the contrary, clearly release details of people's accidents and their contact details. There is no other way for the information to get in the hands of teh ambulance chasers. I'm currently chasing my insurance company and the dodgy solicitors they gave my details to to try and get them to take some responsibility. But I doubt i ever will. IKgnore the texts and calls and only deal with the companies you have chosen. Ones who get your details illegally and then hassle you are unlikely to have your best interests at heart!

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

I should have said, sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you're feeling better today.

5. I received this exact text yesterday despite my accident being over 4 months ago so I imagine its doing its rounds to all those who have been in an accident.
    Sorry to hear about your accident but you can expect to be attached to the phone for another few days at least! My insurance company proved incompetent so I used a solictors recommended to me by a friend. They sorted it with minimal fuss, although my whiplash claim is still ongoing but that is to be expected.
    I was inundated with calls for the first few days from a number of solicitors - as I had never been in a crash before I didn't know what was standard practice. Hopefully you will get it sorted with minimal trouble. Good luck!

6. I got that text today and have had no accidents. Definitely ignore.

7. Milkandchalk

OK thanks I shall definitely ignore then. Hating this!

8. Milkandchalk

Thanks for the advice.

9. Ooh Milky, that's nasty - hope you feel better soon.
    As for the text - I'm still being contacted 2 years down the line when someone reversed in to my car. When asked, they admitted that they got the details from information I gave when I was getting insurance quotes online.
    I kept telling them that I hadn't suffered any injury, but was told it doesn't matter, they'd 'get round that' and that I was entitled to that money!

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I've had those texts and assumed it was a con and if you reply in any way it costs you money.
    Hope you get it sorted.

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I also received it with no accident.

12. I keep getting the same text (and so does my wife). I even recieved it on the day of my accident.

3 Hours BEFORE it happened, scary or what?
    Glad I didn't go with them, in the end I was entitled to nearly 4 times that amount.

By all means go with your insurance companies recomended claims firm, but don't forget that they may simply 'sell' your case to the highest bidder, not the best firm available. If you find that they are useless at a later date you are entitled to transfer to another firm (I'd recomend using word-of-mouth) at any time. They will deny this, but you can do it easily.

Good Luck and get well soon.

13. Milkandchalk

OK, now I'm worried! I thought this would all be nice and straightforward!?

14. So did I!! I am sorry to inform you that, in my case at least it was far from straightforward. After my accident I had to take 8 days off school due to a combination of injury and being permanantly attached to the phone getting everything sorted including my written off car. My claim for loss of earnings is still ongoing but is complicated by the fact I am on supply which I only started a few months before the accident and so my wages are impossible to improve.
    Also after agreeing an amount for my car the third party insurance company sent me a cheque which was £200 down to the agreed amount and are now ignoring all contact from my solicitors and it looks like it will end up having to go to court! I know £200 isn't an awful lot but it is to me, my car was over 10 years old but in perfect condition and so my valuation was decent considering its age. I haven't been able to afford to replace it with the money I got for my car so luckily my dad has helped me out.
    Now I have solicitors handling it, it is a lot easier because I can just let them get on with it and they just contact me when necessary. I am dreading how much the total claim is going to cost though as I didn't know just how expensive solicitors are (£300 an hour!!!!) but at least I don't have to pay anything!
    Hope it is not too stressful for you and you get it sorted soon!

15. Milkandchalk

I've not heard from anyone today at all. I think that the insurance is still waiting for liability ffrom the other party.

16. Ahh I see, in that case you will just have to play the waiting game. I was extremely fortunate than the other party admitted liability at the scene and informed the insurance company within an hour of the accident so the ball started rolling pretty quick for me. I hope you don't have a problem with the liability issue as I have heard many horror stories, but at least my case is a positive example!

17. Milkandchalk

She admitted as much at the scene but we didn't involve police or anything as it didn't seem all that bad. It took me a wee while to get her insurance details as she didn't know them at the time and I got her mobile number and phoned her in the evening to get them. It took me 4 calls before I actually got hold of her.
    I'm now worried that she's playing a similar game with the insurance company. Maybe I'm worrying prematurely - as is always the case with me!

18. Sorry to say it milk, but these things are never simple and straighforward.
    In the accident I was in there was no denying liability, but she still denied it. 17 months on and we are still getting nowhere.
    My poor mum is also having a terrible time. She was a passenger in a car, stopped at traffic lights, when someone drove into the back. She needs lots of physio support but can't afford to pay for it and the insurance company are having difficulty as the other party refuses to accept liability. [​IMG]

19. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Oh no - never straightforward! My sisters accident was 3 years ago - she had to have surgery, a week in hospital, lots of physio and months off work (still happening now at times) and is having more surgery on saturday - and she is still waiting for money - all she has had is a tiny amount for the car itself (and that took 18 months to get...) Hope you're ok though.

20. Still waiting for compensation (though claim is finally settled) after nearly three years of whiplash pain. Keep every single receipt, record of calls made, letters etc...... Be prepared to be very, very patient with your claim (and to be out of pocket for a long time).