1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Instruments of the orchestra podcast

Discussion in 'Music' started by seechord, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I have added a podcast about the different instruments of the orchestra, a brief look at how each instrument works, how it makes a sound, and what distinguishes that sound from other instruments. Contains a quiz with a twist that can also be downloaded on its own.
    I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have.
    Instruments of the orchestra:
    www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Musical-instruments-6089994/
    Instrument quiz:
    www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Musical-instrument-quiz-6090018/
    Joe Samuel
    www.joesamuel.co.uk

2. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

Nice idea, a musical instrument listening quiz. Sorry, but my students need to listen to real melodies played by real instruments, not lifeless monotones of processed sound that have been zapped of musicality and expression. There are plenty of good examples on the web, for example:
    http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/music/orchestra/
    so why bother to invent another?

3. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

I found some of the examples impossible to identify as they sounded nothing like the real instrument, so have to agree with tanbur

4. This quiz is designed to make students think about all aspects of the sound of an instrument. The fact that they are hard to identify when all performance aspects are removed is the whole point! The musical instruments podcast goes on to explain timbre and sound envelopes in more detail.