1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Instrumental Tuition

Discussion in 'Music' started by sydney3, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have just joined a school where the students got free instrumental lessons at their feeders. I am still tying to sort out the minefield of instrumental tuition (I have booked a few county teachers but am planning on getting some self employed teachers to supplement). So far have a mixed response but several parents will not pay and so want to withdraw their children from lessons (current cost £30 a term). What do other schools do about this? I think it is really sad if they genuinely can't afford it and want their children to have lessons. However, I need to make sure the budget balances! Some of these students are already grade 3 ish (in year 7/8). In my last school it was a given people payed but County subsidised and so did the school budget. (my school is already heavily subsidising lesson costs). Any help/advice really appreciated :) Thanks

2. DWL

DWL

Hi, this is only my fourth year as a teacher but I am slowly getting used to how to help some students. Try the special needs department, or any organisations that are linked to your school, they may be able to help with funding for individual students; or you could approach one of the SLT and ask if there is a way that they could fund some tuition, particularly for the vulnerable. This way it might not impact on your budget, good luck.

3. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Our kids pay £90 a term. If there is real financial difficulty they can contact the finance dept/head directly. It rarely happens. We have 150 students paying for lessons (10% of the school). This means a subsidy of around 30K by the school.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

£30 is very low - I'm surprised that parents are complaining! Have you looked at what schools nearby charge? Are these group or individual lessons?
    In my old school children who were entitled to free school meals were subsidised by county - some had half fees paid, but most had the full amount paid. It is worth checking this avenue.