1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Instrumental tuition questionnaire for parents

Discussion in 'Music' started by smee467, Aug 22, 2018.

1. smee467

smee467 New commenter

Hi I just wondered if anyone had surveyed parents as to their opinions of instrumental tuition within key stage 2 and if so whether you could share ideas of questions asked.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

What's your purpose? Is this a survey of what they think of the tuition their child receives, what they think about the current offering, what they think should be offered, what they're prepared to pay, or what?

3. smee467

smee467 New commenter

Yes to survey what parents think about the current tuition received for parents whose children have already been having lessons at school with instrumental teachers for the last year.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Tread carefully: I think you should be involving the instrumental teachers if you are going to be doing that. Even if you try to do it anonymously, if you allow any free comments they may give away the instrument.

5. smee467

smee467 New commenter

The instrumental teachers
    have a private contract with parents and so I want to make sure parents are happy with the lessons they are receiving. The teachers use our school for the lessons and I put the parents in contact with the teachers so it makes sense to check they are happy with the lessons and progress being made. It is part of the quality assurance process and is only for my eyes as lead music teacher. I obviously know who is receiving what tuition so I'm not sure what you mean about free comments and giving away the instrument. The questionnaire won't just ask about the lessons themselves but also about the process in place at school.

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

It might be better to work on the assumption that if no-one is complaining to you then everyone is reasonably happy. As @frustum warns, a survey could open a can of worms and might appear to the instrumental teachers to be an invitation to parents to be critical of their teaching or methods.
    If parents have any issues about their child’s progress, then their first port of call should be the instrumental teacher. Presumably if they felt that hadn’t worked they would either give notice or come to you?