1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Instructor for Alternative Provision -what is this job like please?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by mooncheek, Oct 3, 2014.

1. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

My daughter has seen this job advertised and really fancies it...she wants to be a secondary teacher and is 25. I think it looks like very demanding work, especially as it's a very rough school and that she is a bit young to cope with difficult, SEN children (don't mean to be derogatory here.) Advice welcome please.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Has your daughter ever worked in a secondary school? It is not clear from your post what experience your daughter may have as far as working in schools. Is she employed at the moment in an educational setting?

You are right in that the work will be very demanding. What might be better, is if your daughter tried to get some work experience at the school just so she might observe and see what it is like. The skills she will need are the ability to stay calm in any situation, bucket loads of patience, empathy, kindness, alongside any subject knowledge and knowledge of particular learning and behavioural difficulties.

3. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Thanks very much for your response pepper5. Daughter has had a great deal of experience in Primary and wanted initially to do PGCE primary, but is now feeling more drawn towards secondary, after a summer job working with teenagers. The bit I'm concerned about is that the job description requires her ' creating an alternative Scheme of work,' for those chn who cannot access GCSE. I think I would find that quite challenging myself, but I guess she could ask for more info!

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Bearing in mind your further information, and the fact that she has experience of working with teenagers, then she probably has a reasonable idea of what the working conditions would be like. I think like you said, she could ask for more information. I think perhaps she should apply if it appeals to her. She can always learn how to write the schemes of work, it is the communicatio skills and personal characteristics that will be important when working with the students that perhaps are more difficult to obtain.

Let us know what she decides and how she gets on.

Pepper5