1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Instructions - year 1 (advice needed -please)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by libby01, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am currently teaching "instructions" to my year 1 class (on placement). Due to start week 2 on Monday and being observed Wed. I want to plan really fun and exciting activities to help inspire the children. So far we have made toys, been on a photo journey around the school and followed instructions to make paper planes. They are a very young year 1 class, with many of them still on the EYFS profile so I want to make sure I offer lots of hands on activities. I was thinking about doing something along the lines of creating magic potions, linking it to a story but I am stuck for inspiring ideas? Any ideas will be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi,
    I am currently teaching "instructions" to my year 1 class (on placement). Due to start week 2 on Monday and being observed Wed. I want to plan really fun and exciting activities to help inspire the children. So far we have made toys, been on a photo journey around the school and followed instructions to make paper planes. They are a very young year 1 class, with many of them still on the EYFS profile so I want to make sure I offer lots of hands on activities. I was thinking about doing something along the lines of creating magic potions, linking it to a story but I am stuck for inspiring ideas? Any ideas will be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

3. akirk

akirk New commenter

Hello Libby,
    I'm actually a secondary English and EAL teacher, but a few things I've done when I teach instructions to learners of English have been;
    • On the board I have drawn images of an obstacle course - a wall, river, bridge etc. and then asked students to give/write down instructions on how to get through the course. (To be honest, I do this when teaching prepositions, but I think you can apply it to a few things) You could amend this by either making a small course in the playground for the little ones to pass and get them to interact in pairs, directing each other maybe?
    • Cooking. They could, using a nice list of the plastic food and stuff available, write down how to cook a certain thing (based on things you may have in the classroom) and describe the process - a bit like your magic potions idea. If they all write a cooking process, you could collect all the recipes and make a Year One cookbook to display...
    Ok, that's all I have for now, but I hope it helps!

4. Thanks very much for your great ideas. I will def incorporate some of them into my planning.

5. My KS1 class loved doing treasure hunts. We read the instructions together on the IWB & chose chn for each one. Obviously they had to find enough golden coins for everyone to enjoy! I have also made jelly & fruit salad. As you said, lots of hands-on activities.
    Enjoy!

6. I love the treasure hunt idea, did you send them on a treasure hunt around the school? and what type of instructions did you give them? My class would love to do that.
    Thanks

7. Hi.
    I've done both. Gone over lots of positional language beforehand, then worked with chn (as examples) in class, then done it around the school grounds in teacher-led groups. We then worked towards writing our own instructions for other groups. Hope it goes well.

8. I was observed on the exact same thing! We made jam sandwhiches. We talked about what you do first, next, then and after.we then our sandwiches using this idea and are them for lunch. Very interactive, engaging and visual. Good luck. Xxx