1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Instead of a learning platform...

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by skybluelibrary, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Wondered if I could run a few ideas past you...
    After seeing another school demonstrate how they use the radiowaves website to give children an online space, I was wondering how necessary a LP really is? I was thinking of ditching our (not very good) Kaleidos LP and using something like radiowaves in conjuction with our current school website, to extend learning beyond the school. Do you think this would work/be adequate? Have the last governments requirements to have a LP in place by a certain time fallen by the wayside with the change in government?
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    We're a primary school by the way.

2. Wondered if I could run a few ideas past you...
    After seeing another school demonstrate how they use the radiowaves website to give children an online space, I was wondering how necessary a LP really is? I was thinking of ditching our (not very good) Kaleidos LP and using something like radiowaves in conjuction with our current school website, to extend learning beyond the school. Do you think this would work/be adequate? Have the last governments requirements to have a LP in place by a certain time fallen by the wayside with the change in government?
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    We're a primary school by the way.

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Interesting idea - I suspect the LP/VLE requirement will go by the board and schools will be free from the compulsion. We'll keep ours, there's no doubt about that and we will continue to develop it. (we use Moodle/Mahara)
    On another thread someone is offering their ideas of using edmondo http://www.edmodo.com/ as a freeby, online VLE. Not tried it myself but looks to offer some of what is needed.
    I think Mahara is too complex for Primary but some Primary schools use Moodle very effectively.
    IMHO CollideOS has always been a bad example of the genre.
    HTH

4. Just got back from BETT 2011 and spent quite a bit of time looking at VLPs / VLEs
    The only one I found for Primary Schools, which made my loins restless, was a brilliant one - MyLearning. designed and built by ex-teachers.
    http://www.mylearningltd.co.uk/view/primary-virtual-learning-platform/
    It does everything and more. Including embeding just the videos found on YouTube without the YouTube logo. Apparently this is legal, as checked by their Lawyers, because the videos uploaded onto YouTube aren't owned or copywrited to YouTub
    It also has over 2500 activities built into the VLP / VLE.
    I think alot of them are the Sherston's Online programs.
    I spent a good hour in a Show & Tell (just me) and was flabagasted.
    The price was also a little less than the other companies were offering.
    Alan Sawyers is the person to speak to.
    By the way I don't work for these guys, I just know a good thing when I see it.
    I als went to a Seminar demonstrating RadioWaves
    http://www.radiowaves.co.uk/
    A free one and monitored. Upload your Texts, videos and Audios.
    Nice but not anywhere near as good as MyLearning.
    Trust me, I'm a Teacher.
    John

5. Does google docs have any place in this? (Just curious - our VLE is non-functional and I was looking at at possibilities)

Margaret

6. Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. Quite like Edmodo, in particular that it has a mobile friendly site. Mr. John - thanks for suggestions, I was at the same seminar at BETT. I will look at mylearning but I'm leaning away from paying for a LP when I not completely convinced it worth it. Maybe mylearning will change my mind though.