1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

instant veg garden kits - anyone cheated and got one?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon63, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I am hopefully sniffing the air for Spring and starting to think about gardening again. I have grown veg for a long time with a partner but now I'm on my own I have less time. Last year I grew my own veg plot for the first time and it wasn't all that productive, sometimes I timed stuff wrong and the ground probably wasn't very fertile. This year I've already dug compost in and plan to get some manure to dig in today. I got bought some wood for raised beds for Christmas to neaten it all up a bit.
    My question is about thos instant veg kits you can get - where you get sent seedlings through the post. My friend 'cheated' and got one and her veg plot was super productive, minimum effort and looked lovely. I had been quiet anti this sort of veg gardening but I have to admit that I'm very tempted this year... Do all the veg arrive at once or do they come in drips and drabs? Anyone used them and have anything to recommend?

2. Sorry for the typos. It's amazing how having two weeks off has left my fingers a bit poor at typing,

3. I buy plug plants from the garden centre - I wouldn't say it's cheating but it costs more than seed.

4. I used plugs for beans last year when my seedlings died off.
    They were fine, just expensive and you really do need to plant them as soon as you get them.
    They tend to come in separate packages, so yes, dribs and drabs.
    Or buy plugs from your local garden centre - same thing, less packaging and you can grab them as you want them!

5. I grow from seed but then I got tempted by the plants from my local market last year because I could just buy four plants, I don't want loads of anything apart from onions and parsnips (but i grow shallots as these are quite big enough for me). so I bought 4 celery, 4 fennel, 4 sweetcorn etc. to fill up my raised beds.
    I think manure is the secret for most things (not all). Reminds me I must get some more on the soil as soon as the weather warms up a bit. The weather is foul today and I was going to do some gardening