1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiring Year 9's

Discussion in 'Music' started by LennoxBerkeley, Jun 17, 2011.

1. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

I think we all saw that one coming. Lennox.

2. ZoeLM didn't know about me, presumably, Lennox. It's not possible for everyone to be as omniscient as yourself.
    Are you still locked in your classroom, by the way? I meant to call the caretaker, but I forgot.

3. Are uptake is ok at our school, of around 50 per year.
    Have you tried Musical Futures? Blues works well as well as Dance music and minimalism

Also have you tried offering BTec music at keystage 4. It can get thosre long haired guitarists onto a course that they enjoy and will do well on.

4. Lots of yr 9 SoW include Pop and Rap (Chords, Song structure, Lyrics work), Junk orchestra and drumming stuff. Try to make it as modern and interactive as possible with an absolute minimum of written/computer work.
    What do you do at the moment?

5. Musical Futures is the way to go! I've been using it, or bits of it, for the last 6 years in 2 different schools. Although it's a bit daunting at first, once you're able to cope with haphazard learning, have collected sufficient resources to help the less able/inspired, it pretty much runs itself. There are some fantastic resources now on the MuFu website, including transition material for KS2-3 and learning resources. My current school, which hasn't had much music at all for the last 5 years, is really getting into it.

6. I came across this for composing: www.inbflat.net
    Musical Futures also highly recommended.
    Have you thought about kids creating their own 'mash up'? The 4 chord songs. search axes of awesome in youtube.
    My year 9's ahve also enjoyed learnign to play piano/guitar and singing at the same time for Adele songs, Kings of Leon, Plan B, Mad world.

7. Currently offer BTEC Music at KS4.
    Popular units in Year 9 are Dance Music, Blues and Writing own popo/rap song.
    Need something really inspiring for them!