1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

inspiring year 6 children to read...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Feb 12, 2012.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

HELP!! My class of year 6, hate reading. They hate listening to stories being read, they hate reading themselves and to each other. What can I do? I am trying to make my reading corner inviting and try to read books which may interest them. I let them read magazines occasionally and let them listen to books on cd but they still don't like it. They see it as a waste of time and NEVER read at home. What can I do?!!! Does anyone know any tried and tested novels that I can read with them or current authors that might interest them? I have football mad boys, sci-fi boys and girls who are not particularly girly!!

2. groovyshell83

HELP!! My class of year 6, hate reading. They hate listening to stories being read, they hate reading themselves and to each other. What can I do? I am trying to make my reading corner inviting and try to read books which may interest them. I let them read magazines occasionally and let them listen to books on cd but they still don't like it. They see it as a waste of time and NEVER read at home. What can I do?!!! Does anyone know any tried and tested novels that I can read with them or current authors that might interest them? I have football mad boys, sci-fi boys and girls who are not particularly girly!!

3. What about poetry? Funny poems (Alan Ahlberg, Brian Moses, Michael Rosen etc.) Quite childish but short and snappy so might just keep their interest until the end. Possibly you could build up from there? Just an idea x

4. groovyshell83

Thankyou. It is certainly a start... I will get on amazon and see what I can find x

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Hope someone will suggest a good title to you. Have you tried playing good dramatisations on CD rather than just a book being read out by one voice? e.g. BBC has some good dramatisations of novels on CD.
    And how about if you start introducing it while they are doing something else? They could be drawing or painting or making something while they listen could they? There's no reason why they should just be sitting there "doing nothing".
    Do they enjoy reading to find things out? If they do you are on to a winner in every subject.

6. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Holes by Louis Sachar. Mine were hooked

7. groovyshell83

I will look for dramatisations. Are there novels on there for children? They don't mind reading First News but on the whole, they would rather read things on the internet to find things out but then don't always read for meaning or take in what they are reading

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Yes there are definitely dramatisations of novels for children in the BBC web bookshop. Whether they would meet the tastes of your class or not I don't know.

9. Trying
    to make a reading corner inviting is lovely however would not make someone pick
    up a book. You need to choose books that will grip the children. Lots and lots
    of exciting talk about the book that you are reading. If you promote reading
    and show enthusiasm I promise you the children will be hooked. The excitement
    and enthusiasm must come from you to begin.

10. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

Talking of poetry... Alan Peat's The Swimming Trunks Disaster had my year 6 in stitches!
    Sorrim x