1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiring reading in KS3

Discussion in 'English' started by paul_mc1, Jul 27, 2019.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

hi

How do you keep that love of reading alive in KS3? What I’m finding is that, as children leave KS2 and move into Y7 and Y8 that love has fizzled our and they don’t read for pleasure anymore. They look at a
    Book and feel daunted by the amount of pages rather than seeing an exciting adventure; some of the parents are really keen to support and have already tried graphic novels, audio books and going with their child’s interests but nothing seems to work. I think technology and peer pressure - thinking it’s not socially acceptable for a pre teen or teenager to read, particularly but not exclusively boys, and yet this is such a crucial time to immerse children in language and stories as they develop into young adults. I just wondered what other schools do break this stereotype. I find the children who are great at English (boys and girls) immerse themselves in literature but those who are either working at expected or working towards push against it.

My new Y7 and 8 classes in September need this encouragement to support their learning as the demands of Ks3 take shape. I teach in a middle school and the change from Y6 to Y7 seems huge in terms of child development and social pressures.

Thanks in advance

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Some ideas (google for more details):
    • Take a look at the Readers' Workshop model.
    • Start every lesson with Silent Sustained Reading (SSR), after co-constructing (and displaying) expectations - make sure you read with them. Follow each session with an invitation for readers to share their book but don't force anyone. I do 15-20 minutes every other day (as I see my students every day - the other days we write).
    • Try reading logs.
    • Try reading journals.
    • Have regular trips to the library.
    • Give book talks and invite others to do the same - they don't have to be from the same class so find 'cool' boys who have a book they'd like to share.
    • Get them networking with readers online e.g. Goodreads.
    • Choose a high-interest novel, read a chapter and watch the section of the movie version that corresponds (after thoroughly exploring and discussing).
    • Do read-alouds (yes, I've done this right up to Year 13 and have yet to meet a class that doesn't grow to love them and beg for more)
    • Do everything you can to raise the profile of reading (and you'll find threads on here full of ideas on how to do that).
    • Ask students what they want to read and honour their responses. Ask outgoing students what their favourite reads have been and fill your shelves with their recommendations.
    • Have a discussion about why they don't like reading, and what might encourage them to read more.
    Know that anything will work for some and nothing will work for everyone. There is no one approach to resolve the issue but persistent gentle encouragement can get things moving in the right direction.

blueskydreaming likes this.