1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiring Purchases

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Jun 26, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

What have you bought this week that is inspiring or exciting you?
    Went to a local international foodstore this week and bought, among other things:
    A bag of Mograbiah; wonderfully ripe Pakistani mangoes; donut peaches; cherries; huge bunches of fresh mint and dill; a selection of Indian sweets.
    And from Waitrose: some spankingly fresh hake; a piece of Vignotte; some Rose de Lyon saucisson; some Belgian beer and a nice bottle each of Spanish red and white; more Heston ice cream (think I'm addicted); some Brittany butter with sea salt crystals; a sourdough baguette
    Plus some lovely stuff in the veg box - broad beans; spinach; summer greens; beautiful new potatoes that scrape wonderfully and taste ace; courgettes.

What's inspiring you in your purchases this week?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Nothing this week!
    We were due to move house tomorrow but one inept and dishonest solicitor has held all of that up. It is now probable, but in no way definite, that we will move this coming week. That means I am having to pack up nearly all of the kitchen stuff today just in case.
    This week's shopping has consisted of Tesco Light ready meals with some veg and fruit [​IMG]
    When we have managed to settle in to our lovely little town with it's deli and regular Farmers' market then hopefully I will have a bit more to add!

3. Veg Box - broad beans were delicious! (Just having the last ones with lunch today)...also loved the summer greens......and the bunched carrots were so sweet and crisp I just ate them as snacks! (I have no regrets about getting the veg box...always a joy seeing the fresh seasonal produce)
    Then a friend of Mum's brought us some redcurrants from her garden - quite sharp but also really good! Mum surparred herself with a Strawberry (from her own garden) and Redcurrant Flan.
    And I was given a treat - some bottles of cider, each made from just one variety of apple. I am rather enjoying tasting them!

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Agreed on both counts! The carrots are indeed delicious. And we love the veg box too!

5. Are you moving far from where you are now? I hope the rest of the move goes smoothly.
    I have discovered Elderflower Cider! I tried some last night and it was totally delicious [​IMG] I will definitely be buying some....oh yes, and Genius GF Seeded bread, yum yum.
    Nick, I'm very impressed with your new discoveries [​IMG]

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I agree on the Waitrose ice cream...the chocolate and rosemary flavour is to die for!
    Other than that I have discovered that a diet of soup and ice cream does not make for a happy EG...

7. I forgot to add a thanks to steffi for this discovery as it's hers really!

8. EG, hope you're ok

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'm fine Suze, thanks - just let myself wind down a bit too much as I felt the end of term approaching. Hopefully in a couple of days I'll have my voice back and be back on "solids".

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thank you Suze. We are going about 6 miles. Things have generally gone very smoothly until the last week so time for things to sort themselves out now!
    I am dying to try the Waitrose ice cream. I was reading an article about how smooth and perfect it is. Yum!
    Wishing you a quick recovery EG x

11. I went to our local pick your own farm and found it very inspiring. I got some delicious baby carrots, broad beans that I'm really enjoying both raw and cooked, raspberries of which some are now set in jelly and some strawberries which I'm devouring either plain or with vanilla yoghurt. YUM.