1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspire Workshop on Chocolate ideas please!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rachy1310, Dec 29, 2011.

1. rachy1310

rachy1310 New commenter

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone could help me. I have been asked by my head to run a year 3 Inspire workshop for parents and children based upon our IPC theme which will be chocolate.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or has anybody previously done an Inspire on something like this. I have done previous workshops but these were on Literacy and Numeracy I am really struggling to come up with ideas. The only thing I can think of is to get the parents to design a chocolate bar with their child and possibly they could make the chocolate by using melted chocolate and adding other things to it. Not sure how practical this will be though.

Any help will be very apprieciated :)

Thanks in advance

2. partly depends on how many what space and what you want parents to get out of it, do you want them to understand cross curricular teaching for example ie with series of activiteis from different subjects linked to chocolate.

you could always set the design and make a chocolate bar as a home task to follow on

is there a way you could do some sort of treasure hunt with clues which could include range of subjects

3. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Some ideas just off the top of my head...
    You could investigate history and geography through the origins of chocolate - arrange a roleplay story for the children to discover chocolate in South America.
    You could find out some interesting stories about chocolate - Bill Bryson has some good ones in the Food chapter of his book Made in America. These could be used for Literacy, History, Art...
    For D&T, you could have children design a new chocolate wrapper, perhaps for some unusually shaped chocolate? Or design a new type of chocolate bar?
    Science - maybe they could investigate what goes in to making chocolate, ingredients, additives, changes in state, etc.
    Good luck!

4. Hiya I have used the information on this website to help plan a short half term project based on chocolate there are a few ideas here which are much better explained by the website itself.

Hope you find it useful :)

http://www.papapaa.org/

5. rachy1310

rachy1310 New commenter

I think this would be the idea,,, to get parents to actually understand that topic is an important subject.
    We would have hall space for the activity
    Thanks for ideas so far :)