1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

inspire me please??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by moggycat, Dec 30, 2011.

1. We are doing Science for our creative curriculum this half term: solids, liquids and gases. I just wondered if anyone had a good idea for an intro lesson for the three states of matter (year 5/6 class). I keep coming up with boring ideas. Has anyone done anything that eally worked for them? Thank you.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Are they boring in themselves or just boring because you've done them yourself before?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ice, water and steam in some form is easy and understandable. As to what the heck you do with them, I've no idea. Sorry.

4. I just think my ideas seem boring. Children have to 'act out' the particles of each state; so if I called solid, they'd all group together to make a compact group or gas, they would space out. Another activity is to decide what things are gases, solids, liquids. Not very exciting. Yes, I could use an ice cube, watch it melt, steam from a kettle I guess, thank you.

5. If you put a small whiteboard in the freezer for a couple of hours and then hold it over a steaming kettle, condensation forms on its surface and ends up dripping off the board. Great to show that steam is water in a gaseous form - as soon as it hits the cold w/board it becomes water again. Very effective!

6. that sounds good, i know this is a stupid questionbut why do you have to put the whiteboard i the freezer first?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

so it's colder than the air

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Ice Crystals, Clear Ice, and Ice Worms
    Gases dissolved in water make cloudy ice cubes. In your freezer, you can make both clear ice and cloudy ice. At the same time, you'll make beautiful ice crystals to examine.
    To do & notice
    • Find a couple of plastic food storage containers with lids. (I used ones that were about 4 inches on a side.) Fill one halfway with water from a faucet that has an aerator. If your faucet doesn't have an aerator, fill the container halfway, then shake it with the lid on to introduce air.
    • Boil a kettle of water and fill the other container to the same level with the boiled water. Be sure to pour the hot water into the container carefully to avoid introducing any gas. Put the lids on both containers and place them in the freezer overnight.
    • In the morning, carefully remove the lid from the previously hot container.
    The steam rising from the hot water should have formed intricate spire-shaped ice crystals on the inside of the lid. Examine these crystals with a magnifying glass, and you'll find that each subspire meets the main axis of the spire shaft at an angle of 120 degrees. When formed in a free environment, such as a cloud, the spires join in sixes, forming the familiar snowflake.
    • Now remove the ice blocks from their containers by running warm water over the outside of each container. Smooth the surfaces of the blocks by running a little cold water over them. Is there a difference between the two? The block made from aerated water should be cloudier in the center than the one made from boiled water. If you look closely, you may see bubbles and tunnels that look like worm holes in the cloudy ice.

9. thank you.