1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspire Maths or Maths No Problem?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teacher_1186, Jan 17, 2016.

1. teacher_1186

teacher_1186 New commenter

Hi,

Has anybody got any experience of using either of the above schemes? What is your opinion? We're looking for a resource to support teaching and learning in our school and like the look of both of these.

Or alternatively, do you use a scheme/textbook that you would recommend?

Thanks for your time,

T1186 :)

2. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

We've started using Maths No Problem and I absolutely love it. I attended the 3 day course with Dr Yeap Ban Har who is my new maths crush - if you ever get a chance to go on any of his training do, he's so inspiring!

I'm teaching Y6 and I know a lot of other schools in my local area have also started using the same textbooks but haven't rolled it out across the whole school. My kids absolutely love it - and that includes children who when I taught them before in Y3 absolutely hated the subject. I find the structure works really well. I did take me a while to get that structure embedded and actually fit everything into 1 lesson but it's working well at the moment.

I still need to problem solve what to do with the very lowest ability in each class as people do keep moaning that it doesn't cater for them. I'm struggling with what to suggest to them!

teacher_1186 likes this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

we have introduced Maths No Problem to years 1-3 and will progress it through the school over the next year or so. Similar to Leicester_Vics, the structure takes a little getting used to and there are still some problems with those that fly through and those that struggle but the children certainly love it.

teacher_1186 likes this.
  4. teacher_1186

Thanks for your reply! I've been watching the clips and reading around, so can imagine the course was fab!

Do you use the textbooks and workbooks? I just worry it might be too prescriptive! Plus it's very expensive!!

Thank you :)

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We use both,part of what the children love! And yes, it is prescriptive but it then becomes about HOW you deliver it, what extras you add to it, that you focus on.
    As a small school, it was a huge investment for us! You need to ensure everyone buys into the methodology though, we had a couple of staff who initially decided not to bother with it!

TEA2111 likes this.
  6. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Yes, very expensive :eek:.
    Nothing new though in that we should be moving from the concrete, to the semi-concrete, to the abstract. My difficulty though, is trying to pitch the lesson so that my lower achievers can access what's being taught while at the same time my higher achievers are not getting bored.
    And when some LA work with the concrete, they often land up playing with it....
    Or maybe it's me; just a rubbish teacher.

teacup71 and teacher_1186 like this.
  7. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

We do use both. We looked at trying to just buy the textbook and a copy of the workbook for each teacher to base planning on but we also wanted the online resources and they wouldn't sell that unless you bought the book bundles. We debated it for ages before I finally managed to persuade the head. It is prescriptive but in a very progressive way - stops teachers going on primary resources and the same worksheets being used in multiple year groups, which was a problem for us previously. But you can still add your own lessons in when appropriate or add extra examples in to suit.
    Everything is child friendly. All focuses on problem solving. It is very expensive, which very nearly made us not go for it but in my opinion, it's worth it. Saved me loads of time thinking of appropriate calculations and suitable problems. All very child friendly. Has helped me massively in getting staff to use concrete equipment.

TEA2111 likes this.
  8. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

We bought Maths No Problem for September this academic year and we all love it. The children are so excited by maths now and the lesson planning is so much easier. I like to copy the initial problem solving problem onto the whiteboard so the children can annotate around it. You will need to have enough Deines/place value counters for each child too. We do have 2 children who are working on the year group book below as they are very SEN, but their confidence is rising with their ability. The biggest difference has been in the 'not quite getting it group' who just don't exist in our school anymore! I do keep some problem solving cards around for early finishers.

teacher_1186 likes this.
  9. teacher_1186

Thank you all for replying, it's really helpful to hear the opinions of those who are using it!

10. rurg

rurg New commenter

Anyone in South Wales using Inspire Maths care to share their experiences?

11. fionaB88

fionaB88 New commenter

I've had experience of both (lots of Inspire, 2 days of Maths No Problem!)

I'd recommend Maths No Problem more on the basis that it has more online resources. Not only are the lessons you need to teach on there but you can also look at other years to quickly see what they should have covered previously. This is very good if you are thinking of jumping straight in rather than the long roll out approach.

Inspire Maths also has masses of pages per lesson whereas Maths No Problem has just one or two. Much easier for the children to feel they have achieved and less marking.