1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspirational INSET day films

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by louloulou2017, Aug 22, 2019.

1. louloulou2017

louloulou2017 New commenter

Hello All

Starting to pull together the INSET days for September - I always like to start the first day back with an inspiring video about teaching or making a difference. Last year we used the Rita Pierson (ever child needs a champion one). Any other favourites out there.

Thanks all!

2. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

I hadn't seen the Rita Pierson one so thanks for that. I am a fan of Sir Ken Robinson, pretty much everything he puts out is at the very least thought provoking; having said that you've probably seen his stuff already.

3. louloulou2017

Thanks for that.

I like Ken Robinson - but often he says what is wrong with education - so good for a discussion piece - I want to find something to inspire and motivate - the Rita Pierson one is so good for that!

I have found a few American ones - but they tend to be a bit corny - I will keep looking and post any I find.

thanks!

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I do wonder whether staff on INSET day are as inspired by such videos as we would like them to be.

I found that the best thing for INSET days was to arrange something of practical use or legally required such as Epipen or safeguarding training or training on the use of Target Tracker/Learning Ladders or whatever in the morning and classroom preparation for the rest of the day.

Start off with a coffee, croissants and comparing sun tans and holiday snaps session for 30 minutes (teachers will do that regardless), followed by 30 minutes of admin such as termly calendar, duties, new pupils, new staff, etc. Follow that with something practical and useful and then allow classroom preparation.

Staff will feel that they have actually achieved something during the day.

Leave the inspiring (or not) videos for a staff meeting when there is little else going on.

5. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Yes. Please don't waste time looking for videos on my account. If you haven't got something particular in mind that you really need to tell me or think would benefit my teaching, then please don't invent something just to fill an inset programme. Tell me what I need to know and let me go and get organised for when the students arrive. Taking up staff time with unnecessary videos, powerpoints or talks doesn't win you any respect or good will.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ooh yes. This!

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

8. pluckedhighbrow

pluckedhighbrow New commenter

Panyee FC is inspiration and feelgood

louloulou2017 likes this.
  9. louloulou2017

Thank you for your suggestions.

We have an INSET day planned where we are looking at the school priorities for the year as well as doing safeguarding training (plus time in classrooms!). This is a 10 minute opener as a way to welcome staff back from the year. Last year when we showed the Rita Pierson one and my staff loved it - it was a nice way to start the day back.

Everyone's staff are different and everyone's school is different but this is what works for us.

thank you for the contributions - I will have a look at those.

10. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

I'll give you ten minutes, that sounds ok ;)