1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

inspirational ideas to teach year 1 measures

Discussion in 'Primary' started by livenkickin, Nov 7, 2008.

1. just found out have ofsted next week. have got my literacy sorted however am feeling really uninspired for numeracy. We are looking at Block D unit 1 specifically length and non-standard units, maybe extending my tops to looking at using a ruler. But cannot think of anything exciting. Any ideas?

Thank you

2. just found out have ofsted next week. have got my literacy sorted however am feeling really uninspired for numeracy. We are looking at Block D unit 1 specifically length and non-standard units, maybe extending my tops to looking at using a ruler. But cannot think of anything exciting. Any ideas?

Thank you

3. lukesmum

lukesmum Occasional commenter

Hi, I did a really fab activity for bookweek and based all my lit and maths around the Gruffalo. I made some "gruffalo" rulers and the children had to measure with them. They had to meaure and record how many gruffalo's long a variety of objects were. I downloaded a gruffalo game from Bev Evans and had that in my maths area too. I am happy to email my planning if it might be useful for you.
    Lisa

4. We ended up with a carousel of activities for weighing, measuring length and capacity. The length table had lots of bits of paper/ribbon/card/pipecleaners/treasuriy tags etc so the children could compare lengths. We had a tub of plastic snakes to compare lengths too (you could laminate a card set?).

We lined up the whole class in height order and then drew round the smallest and tallest to start a display about length.

To introduce it I have a 'magic box' with things of different lengths which I pull out starting with the smallest: scarves, pencils (ending up with a mega-size pencil), shoes (mine, a child's and a keyring plimsoll), gloves, rulers (small, mdeium and a giant folding one) ending up with a display on the table with a card sign 'shortest' and 'longest' then I get children to find things in the classroom longer and shorter than the smallest pencil. they then work in pairs to find and draw things longer and shorter than their own pencil.

You could get them to measure something for a purpose, eg. to cut paper the right length for a picture, material the right length for a doll's dress etc

Ofsted are very keen on independent learning, so try to give the children some choices and write that in your planning. They probably won't see you for very long (especially if it's a really good lesson!)

All the best!

5. lukesmum, I'm doing the gruffalo with my year 1's after Christmas and would love to make cross curricular links with numeracy, Could I please see a copy of your plans on measuring involving the gruffalo?

jaybee baybee @f2s.com

Thanks x

6. Lukes mum. I would really appreciate a copy of your planning my email is

jen-allen@hotmail.co.uk. thank you so much. Im off into school now to sdort everything out. Thank you again.

7. Hi there,
    I know this was a while ago but wondering if you still had this gruffalo planning.
    I'd love to adapt it for something similar.
    Thanks, email is curryrachel@hotmail.com

Cheers :eek:)

8. For my Year 1 class I made a set of bones different lenghts (on textease) and the children had to order them shortest to longest after they had found them hidden in our woodland area. They also measured the bones using non-standard units and I introduced standard units to the more able children. The children loved the activity.[​IMG]