1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspirational Design and Technology projects - primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by RuthyL75, Jun 18, 2015.

1. RuthyL75

RuthyL75 New commenter

Hello,

I am seeking some inspiration or direction.

I am a Design and Technology Co-ordinator within a primary school.

There are many projects regional and national to get involved within the subject of Art. However I do struggle to find such projects within the context of Design and Technology.

What projects/competitions have you been involved in?

Have you introduced a whole school project that worked well?

Are you part of a D&T cluster group for primary schools within your area?

I shall look forward to hearing about your WOWeee ideas.

Many thanks

Ruth

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just me in my school and no connections to any other schools.

Only really started doing any DT two years ago and still feeling my way. Plus last year due to timetabling restraints I now combine Art and Design with Design and Technology, so each project per term has a DT and an Art element.

So far we have done patterns (Op-Art) combined with pinwheels / designing and making a turbine to lift a tea bag off the ground.

Portraits looking at famous artists and then a fabric face sewing on a button/toggle etc for features.

Van Gogh's bedroom for perspective and then translated this into a 3d model of a bedroom and designed /made a turntable to tutn the 'set' as if it were part of a theatre's scenery. (Had intended exrtending this into Food for first night, graphics for theatre prog and costumes etc.but ran out of time.)

Patterns in nature which we then 'translated' into icing designs on cakes and planned and prepared and ran a Teddy Bear's picnic for Reception children.

3. RuthyL75

RuthyL75 New commenter

Many belated thanks for your response.

I have just found the reply. Sounds like you have combined both Art and D&T with some creative projects.

It has given me some much needed food for thought

Thank you very much!

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I dont have my plans any more that i used to have as a D&T coordinator.so I cant say what to use,but have you looked at
    https://www.data.org.uk/for-education/primary/
    or
    http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/dandt/dandt.htm
    or
    www.wirral-mbc.gov.uk/dt/best%20practice%20primary/bestprac.pdf
    or
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/new-curriculum-2014-primary-design-and-technology-6439264
    lotys if ideas here in resources of tes if you care to look and develop
    Inspiration and wow is up to you I am afraid,

5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

In my previous school, we made model WW2 aeroplanes complete with wheels, propellers and a motor to turn them, all made out of balsa wood. The children did everything themselves from the design to sawing the wood and the assembly.
    Edit: It was a primary school.

robert_branaghan likes this.
  6. robert_branaghan

robert_branaghan New commenter

When I was in primary school (as a student) this was my BEST time at school. We had a Design and Technology teacher that opened our eyes to all sorts of things.
    Electronics, Woodworking, Computers.....

Some of the things we did was to create a miniature theatre with balsa wood and hot glue guns, and have lights set up on this. (going back to the late 80's early 90's this was cool :)

Also making bridges, that was cool as well, Electronics used to fascinate me as a child as did computers (Thanks to primary school teachers I am now a Senior Software Developer, but that's a different story).

How about using the "RaspberryPi" you could get them to design and build a case for it?