1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspirational Class Names!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seekingstars, May 2, 2012.

1. seekingstars

seekingstars New commenter

Hi just wondered if anyone out there had any idea of a theme we could use to rename our classes.

2. seekingstars

seekingstars New commenter

Hi just wondered if anyone out there had any idea of a theme we could use to rename our classes.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Do you have any geographical features near you that you could use? Names of local rivers, hills, country house estates etc?
    These would only be relevant perhaps if you are in a rural area! [​IMG]
    Names of famous people from your area - authors, sports people, artists etc.

4. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I know of two schools with precious stones, one with planets, one with birds and one with exotic mammals.

5. Invite classes to name themselves!

6. We have animals with the starting letter of our last name and the animal's name matching. The children quite like it

7. Our classes are named after local beaches and Cornish saints.
    (I always get them muddled up though!)

8. Rivers of Sheffield, birds, trees, unusual stones. Another one changes every year!

9. Our KS1 classes are simple plants: - buttercups, daisies, bluebells etc all found around our school. KS2 class names are trees - mine was Birch because that was the nearest to our classroom window. Not because I hanker to use one.
    I let children in classes decide on group/table names.

10. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

You could use numbers, like this:
    Class 1
    Class 2
    Class 3
    ... etc.
    [​IMG]

blue451 likes this.
  11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL we have more or less that...not exactly 'inspirational' though!

12. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

It wasn't meant to be a serious suggestion, but.... why on earth should class names be "inspirational", though? Surely it's what happens inside the class that should inspire, not the name printed on a laminated piece of card using the dreaded MS wordart and stuck on the door!

blue451 likes this.
  13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I didn't imagine you were serious...and I agree to a point. But I like the nicer names that other people have. Mine just seems boring. No need for an inspirational name, just an interesting one.

14. How about really cheesey . . . . .

King, Ghandi, Day, Romero, Pankhurst . . . . .?

Although the numbers work equally well for us! :)

15. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Personally I'd go for WolfPaul's suggestion every time.

Just leave things be and focus on the things that actually matter.

16. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Now that I could go for!
    Don't worry - I know the kids and still find it incredibly boring and meaningless!

17. coricia

coricia New commenter

At the first school I taught,each class at 8th grade was named after a historic/ national site in my country. Unfortunately, one of the classes ended up being named after our volcano and boy, were they a handful, like a true volcano. Up to this day, I believe that it's because we named that class for a volcano. Names, in every sense (your own name, class name, house name) can create an identity for that person, class, house and if it is inspirational, it can inspire as it may become aspirational... a quality that the students strive to emulate whether consciously or subconsciously. At the high school I attended, each class has an established name that does not change. Up to this day, at age 29, if I meet someone who attended the school I did and they mentioned that they were in Form 1G Norris or whatever other class, an instant connection is established because the names carry a certain culture and pride and we just feel like we are a part of SOMETHING. That's what a community should be like so I respectfully disagree with your comment. If it's not a big deal to you to have it just be a number, it's equally not a big deal to have it be a name and see what happens. And yes, it is what happens in the classroom that should inspire but why can't we have both? Why can't the name be a constant reminder and inspiration for the things that inspire within the classroom?

To the original commenter, I don't know if you've ever seen Survivor but the teams have different names representing different values/qualities. The teams are named after these qualities in different languages and it sounds pretty cool. At the Ron Clark Academy, there is a house system where the names of the houses are Amistad (Friendship), Altruismo (Givers), Reveur (dreamers), Isibindi (courage). If you look at the videos of the students talking about their house names and the inspirations behind them, you can definitely hear the pride and sense of belonging coming through. You don't have to use these name but you can look up a few qualities in different languages and go with one that sounds right...like Taluma is the estonian word for perseverance and I think I'm gonna use that for my homeroom this year. Have a great teaching year and good on you for trying to inspire your kids in simple ways.

18. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

You could ask each class for ideas then get the school council to decide on a theme.

Animals, types of tree, colours etc are all boring!

You could have:
    famous sportspeople - Murray, Ronaldo, Beckham
    a selection of band names- Genesis, Oasis, Eagles
    famous people (maybe one from each area of curriculum) e.g. science- Marie Curie/ Einstein, Literacy- Dickens. That might seem too random though.
    Famous authors would be good.
    Landmarks of the area your school is in
    What's in your school logo? E.g. if there is a bird in your school logo, the theme of birds would work and the size of the bird could get bigger through the years ... swallows/robins in Y1 to Eagles in Y6
    key historical points- Vikings, Saxons, Romans etc
    Animals of the Amazon

Ask staff for their suggestions because they will probably have some brilliant ideas.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You do know the question was asked 7 years ago don't you?

20. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

It will still help people nowadays!