1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspirational and fun films for teenagers (14-15)

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by atticussmith74, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hi
    I run Outreach programmes at a University designed to encourage young people to aspire towards Higher Education. I am running a residential this summer for Year 10 pupils. In the evening I want to show them a film at the University's cinema but am uncertain which film to go for. The projection unit can get me a film on current release or an older one.
    It would be great if the film had an inspirational message about overcoming barriers and getting what you want even though its hard. However, I'd also like them to enjoy the film and want to watch it, so balance would be good!
    I'd be really grateful for any suggestions you can offer.

Thanks
    Kate Smith

2. Hi
    I run Outreach programmes at a University designed to encourage young people to aspire towards Higher Education. I am running a residential this summer for Year 10 pupils. In the evening I want to show them a film at the University's cinema but am uncertain which film to go for. The projection unit can get me a film on current release or an older one.
    It would be great if the film had an inspirational message about overcoming barriers and getting what you want even though its hard. However, I'd also like them to enjoy the film and want to watch it, so balance would be good!
    I'd be really grateful for any suggestions you can offer.

Thanks
    Kate Smith

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

'Coach Carter' was one of the most popular loans from our school DVD library.

My Y10s always loved 'It's A Wonderful Life', but it's very seasonal.

I'd also be tempted to suggest 'The Diving Bell And The Butterfly' but the subtitles would probably put a lot of kids off, more's the pity.

4. Thanks Jo but I don't need any help with organising it. I've organised the rest of the event. Its just evening entertainment I'm looking for help with.
    Cheers
    AS

5. Battle of Algiers. It'll make them think. Or Withnail and I; it certainly inspired me.

6. flabs84

flabs84 New commenter

Whale Rider, Up, Australia