1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiration...

Discussion in 'Book club' started by leadlearner, Feb 2, 2012.

1. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

I agree that the 'Life of Bees' is a lovely book. For romance with history try Barbara Erkskine 'The Lady of Hay' gripping. 'When God was a rabbit' was a book I really enjoyed recently.

2. OOh, I love Lady of Hay. I think the comment about the TV is exactly right. My friend likes a good read and watches whatever she wants to watch on TV and then takes her book to bed. It is much better for your sleep as well I think. I don't do that always but if I have a really good book I do. Last weekend the telly didn't go on at all, I was so desperate to read my book!

3. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I would love to get into a book again. I feel I walk into a library and never really know where to go. I dont think I really know which books to choose or which authors to go for.

4. Treat yourself to a Kindle (sorry Nutty) and get a load of free books. OR get onto Freecycle and ask if anyone has any books - you will get things that you never thought of and would never pick up yourself. Libraries usually have a "recently returned" shelf for quick pickings.
    Charity shops are great too. I like large print books, it means I don;t have to put my glasses on and can pick them up and put them down as I like.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The suggestion of a Kindle is great! You can get free samples of most titles and decide if you like them.
    Have you read any Phillipa Gregory? They are well-written historical romances....Mum loves them!
    Or you could go for some of the classics...Bronte, Austen....free on the Kindle!....and it's a long read, but well worth it if you haven't read before - Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe).
    If you go for a Kindle (do it!.... go on!) then download 'Elsie Dinsmore' by Martha Finley (free!)...overly moralistic certainly, but surprisingly well-written for the period with romance and a strong anti-slavery message. (There are dozens in the series...the early ones are the better ones).