1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiration needed...

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Langlo, Jun 12, 2011.

1. I've just started to do a mock Edexcel GCSE Unit 1 for my year 10s to get them used to evaluating their work and also to ensure that they are comfortable and confident in using the skills and techniques that they've been taught this year. I totally recommend http://www.rhinegold.co.uk/magazines/magazines_catalogue.asp?m=1&id=144 for SOW! You have to sign up, but it's free and you can download brilliant schemes for free as well. I'm using the unit 'Fame' which uses Lily Allen's 'The Fear' as an audio stimulus and includes others as well. My year 10s can be quite difficult and lack focus sometimes and they are already so engaged, I can't shut them up in discussions about it. As you are only required to do a 6 hour workshop on the chosen theme, I am going to lead the workshops and then let my group devise a piece around the theme and perform it at the end of term, just because it will be a nice easy end to the year for all of us and they love to devise.
    Hope this helps, trust me, that website has been a godsend! Just scroll down to the bottom of the page for the SOW.
    [​IMG]

2. japonica892

japonica892 New commenter

Interested to know you get Rhinegold free I have to pay an annual subscription of about £60!

3. 1 There are loads of schemes on my site here. You may even consider showing them the DVD of Drama Techniques. There's an extract viewable.
    2 The schemes mentioned on the Rhinegold site are for subscribers to the magazine. You will be asked for your subscription number to access them. You get nowt for nowt.

4. I've just written a SOW on Oppression which you are more than welcome to have a look at - in it I've got myself a wee gem of a song: "Something Inside So Strong" by Labi Siffre! It's also got the "I Have A Dream" speech by Martin Luther King which has proved very successful.
    Other stimuli I've used include "Where is the love?" by Black Eyed Peas, "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera - I've got a Body Image SOW which I think is on the resources section..... again, feel free to borrow.
    The theme from 28 Days Later - In a House in a Heartbeat (I think that's what it's called) is a good one too.
    Has that helped or have I just churned out ones you've already used?
    If you want a look at any of my SOW - please email nwyllie@hotmail.co.uk.
    Nicky xxxx

5. Thanks everyone for your replys - I am feeling much more energised with regards Year 10 now - the Lily Allen SOW on the Rhinegold website is a good one. Bang up to date!
    Resources4drama - I liked the Be my Baby SOW too - will have to wait until pay day to enjoy more though.
    nwyllie - email sent - thanks very much
    :)