1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiration needed-please help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by thumbshrew, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Do you mean you are carrying on covering this theme with the present cohort, or that you do it every year and are getting ready to start it with the present cohort? Is it covered as a topic or because there is a clear need among the children? Perhaps, if you feel bored, it is time for a change? You might feel, for instance, that the exploration of feelings can be best addressed when there is a specific issue in the classroom, when it arises naturally from events.
    Exploring feelings can be done through role play, with puppets, circle time, stories and story telling, and exploring body language and facial expression. Most children at this age see things as either "happy" or "sad", so to extend their awareness if makes sense to explore other emotions that they might feel such as "angry", "lonely", "excited".

2. Maybe you have to analyse what makes the children happy and focus in on that. In my nursery class children almost invariably say something about their parents - eg "When mum hugs me" etc, so it would be a good starting point to have a puppet or teddy talking about how happy they feel when they are with mum/dad. Perhaps Daddy Bear could give Baby Bear a hug and BB could talk about how lovely and warm and smiley it makes him feel. Then ask the children to tell the puppet about what makes them happy and pass BB round the circle (I would do it in a small group) - they will probably come up with something about their parents. You might even just ask the children who makes them feel happy, extending it to "Why, how, when" for more skilled communicators.
    When you say they don't understand "happy" and "sad" I'm unsure about what it is they don't understand. Do they overuse the words? That tends to be the problem in my experience. They use "happy" for all positive emotions (like excitement about a party) and 'sad' for anything negative (like worry). If you are looking for them to differentiate a bit more perhaps you need to show them examples (using a puppet scenario) of a whole variety of emotions and teach them the vocab. Stories are good for that too. But, to be honest, some children seem to think in terms of exclusively happy/sad well into KS1. In nursery it's perhaps a matter of sowing the seeds of more exact definitions.
    I hope someone else replies with a simple but effective activity. [​IMG]

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

How true!
    Then they start adding scared and caring...[​IMG]