1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiration needed for vegetarian meal

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Greenteaaddict, Sep 4, 2011.

1. My daughter is home and is a vegetarian. I want to cook something nice for her. I have done the veggie chillis, lasagne, currys etc but wanted to do something different. I have just had a Sainsbury delivery so have full cupboards and fridge. Has anyone got any lovely recipes?

2. My daughter is home and is a vegetarian. I want to cook something nice for her. I have done the veggie chillis, lasagne, currys etc but wanted to do something different. I have just had a Sainsbury delivery so have full cupboards and fridge. Has anyone got any lovely recipes?

3. My soups and pasta sauce are almost legendary. Low calorie so you can add some butter or olive oil if you want. I can PM you some or if you PM me an address I will send them as attachments.
    One thing my lovely Mum used to do for me was a cheese onion and mushroom turnover, using ready-made puff pastry. Dead simple.

4. Risotto, falafel with peach salad, dhal, Chinese stir-fries with Quorn chicken pieces, shepherd's pies with veggie mince, cheesy bakes with either dauphinoise potato or wholemeal bread and egg as a base and yes, soups!

5. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

You could do a Mediterranean strudel with peppers, courgettes, aubergines, spinach, garlic , etc. and feta all rolled up in filo pastry and baked - yummy! Try shepherdess pie as well (lentils instead of mince) - I think Bethannie has posted a recipe on the fourm, if you want to search for it. You could do a chilli non carne with Quorn mince instead of meat mince, or just lots and lots of veggies. I find that grated carrots work well texture-wise in place of the mince. Veggie risotto is lovely if used to stuff roasted peppers and topped with roasted cherry tomatoes and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Tomatoes, green beans and spinach make a nice curry which you can top with boiled eggs. Broccoli and cauliflower bake with tomato-ey sauce and a dash of chili is lovely too. A root veg pie with ale gravy and a cheesy, oaty crumble topping is a great winter warmer. Try thai green veggie curry with leeks, broccoli, sweet potato, carrots, cashew nuts, sweetcorn, etc. My veggie staples are fritattas, ratatouille and hearty curries but there's a lot more you can do!
    Have fun!

6. Chickpeas cooked with tamarind......onion bhajis......dosa- Jamie Oliver did a recipe on TV that used gram flour to make the pancakes instead of fermenting the urad dhal......cauliflower cheese on toast.....paneer......veggie scotch eggs where you coat an egg with a spicy potato mixture....I love vegetarian food!

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

pasta with an almost infinite variety of veg based sauces: just remember that Italians do not usually mix more than 2 (possibly 3) flavours in a meal!

8. Thank you for all these lovely ideas. I will be busy I think

9. My friend brought me a marrow, it was huge so I put it to good use as a vegi meal.
    I peeled and chopped it into chunks, sprinkled with salt to get rid of some of the liquid. Added peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, potatoes, courgette and roasted in the oven with a dash of oil. After about half an hour I blanched and added some brocoli. When cooked and the potatoes were browning I poured over a home made spicy tomato sauce and then topped with cheese sauce with loads of cheese on top. Popped back in the oven and it was delicious. My daughter loved it.
    I shall continue to experiment with vegetarian food.

10. Somewhere my spicy chickpea recipe is kicking around, and my peanut and pineapple stew recipe.
    My favourite tip is roast spelt bolognese - you need cracked spelt and this turned into a wee saga for manashee.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Google 'Georgian vegetarian recipes'.

Georgian cuisine is wonderful for both vegetarians and omnivores. Do a google search.