1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiration needed for fun engaging ICT lessons

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dhurst, Mar 13, 2012.

1. dhurst

dhurst New commenter

Hi, I need help with creating engaging, fun and meaningful ICT Lessons with a class that I have. My school do the ICT Diploma and chose to have one dedicated FULL day where students would do the course (so I have a class for a full day on a Wednesday). Students start the course in year 9 (in which they do OCR Nationals) then do the diploma units in year 10 and 11.

The school has recently gone through a lot of structural changes and have also scraped the Diploma. This means that my current year 9 students will not be continuing with this course into year 10/11. They have completed the OCR course (since they have a full day each week they were able to get it to a high standard).

I now have a full day each week with a group of mixed ability year 9 students that have completed all their assessment based work. I think this is great as I now have a chance to re-engage them in ICT after the OCR Nationals.

I'm looking for ideas for full day activities or projects which are modern and will engage the students.

I'm thinking of doing lessons around QR codes and doing scavenger hunts using the codes. However as I have them for a full day they zoom through work.

Any ideas or links to resources that you think could help would really help.

2. dhurst

dhurst New commenter

Hi, I need help with creating engaging, fun and meaningful ICT Lessons with a class that I have. My school do the ICT Diploma and chose to have one dedicated FULL day where students would do the course (so I have a class for a full day on a Wednesday). Students start the course in year 9 (in which they do OCR Nationals) then do the diploma units in year 10 and 11.

The school has recently gone through a lot of structural changes and have also scraped the Diploma. This means that my current year 9 students will not be continuing with this course into year 10/11. They have completed the OCR course (since they have a full day each week they were able to get it to a high standard).

I now have a full day each week with a group of mixed ability year 9 students that have completed all their assessment based work. I think this is great as I now have a chance to re-engage them in ICT after the OCR Nationals.

I'm looking for ideas for full day activities or projects which are modern and will engage the students.

I'm thinking of doing lessons around QR codes and doing scavenger hunts using the codes. However as I have them for a full day they zoom through work.

Any ideas or links to resources that you think could help would really help.

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Scratch? Greenfoot?
    Which units did you cover? I'd be tempted to look at a varient of unit 4.

4. Website building (the proper way, FTP access and all...), programming a simple game, mobile app... just look through all the units of OCR L2/L3 and pick your favourites!

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Multimedia marketing - design product packaging, photograph product in packaging, devise animation based around graphic manipulation of the product photograph, incorporate animation into video ad that includes recorded footage of students acting out the ad narrative and is accompanied by a self-composed musical soundtrack, develop promo website that is colour co-ordinated with the product's packaging and house style, and which embeds the video ad. Develop graphics of promotional items like teeshirts, mobile phone cases, baseball caps etc that can be ordered from the website. Devise a simple game that promotes the product in some way (ie Scratch) and can be distributed virally.

6. Some programming? Worth a day or so:

http://www.eastonhome.co.uk/Scratch/index.htm

7. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

We had to do something simiilar to this a year or so ago and got them in groups making podcasts. They had to make folders with some research in and then plan out a radio show with a sports report, weather report, news story, entertainment, etc etc. They then used Audacity to put them all together and exported them and put them on the shared area. For the most part it worked quite well although a day was a bit long for it all.

8. dhurst

dhurst New commenter

We covered unit 1, unit 21 and unit 4. We've done work on Kodu which the students really enjoyed.
    I've planned to do QR codes Next Week. App building for a few weeks after. I'm lucky that our Lego Mindstorm kids have just arrived and we will be covering that for a few weeks too.

9. OCR Nationals are the way to go. I've found that it really engages students; there is a huge choice of vocational modules that are highly beneficial to those wanting to follow different careers in the IT industry. The OCR Nationals qualification is increasingly understood as a currency by parents and employers. The critics will say otherwise, but don't listen. They are just jealous of the extreme success of learners following the Nationals.