1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiration from artists, crafters and historians sought

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Everything is relative, @Aquamarina1234. I don't have sufficient technical knowledge to land a man on the moon by myself and the vast majority of what I know was self-taught, but I was given a good start in technology at school and had the good fortune to fall into a job in medical technology where I had to either sink or swim.

I swam; and as I swam more, I realised it would become necessary for me to learn the breast stoke and butterfly stoke as well as the front crawl.

I had a thoroughly engaging career that began in electronics, moved into mechanical engineering and in the latter years of my career in technology ended up with explaining technology to punters who wanted to buy machinery they hoped would make their dreams come true.

I owe my career to my school teachers. The one who influenced my early career the most, thought little of my technical ability, but I took in what he had to say and when the need to refer to it occurred, I was most of the way there.

Having witnessed over many years how technology teaching has declined, I fear for our future. My days of pushing back the frontiers of technology are over, but wouldn't it be great if there was a younger generation I could pass the baton to and get them up to speed on what I'd worked out, so they could take it further.

I have no idea why, but school leaders think kids are better off flipping burgers and stacking supermarket shelves than they would be imagining the part they might play in the future of technology.

It's unbelievably depressing.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    cissy3 likes this.
  2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Have to say, never seen the necessity for the butterfly stroke..... but..

.......is a national disgrace. No skill involved whatsoever, but so-called 'design'.
    How the hell you can design something without the knowledge needed to actually make that thing is farcical.

Duke of York likes this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Use them to create a reverse 1000 year timeline from the churchyard gate to the church door.

Each tile marks a key event in history starting with the 21st century by the gate, and going back to the 11th century by the church door. Each tile's position along the timeline would be correctly scaled to its correct place along the 1000 years.

Each event could be displayed on a different material that is then fixed to the tile through the existing hole(s) or with industrial strength adhesive. Is there anything else in the skip that could be the second material, for example old wood offcuts?

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That looks good, expensive as you say, but not so bad per item if you use lots of it, too expensive to just give it a go unfortunately.

5. Mangleworzle

Great ideas! There's a "Feast Week" next June which will be the nominal 1000 year birthday, and yes, there were wood offcuts from the timber supports for the tiles, I'll go and see if I can liberate them tomorrow. I can tie some of the dates to what was happening in the world and what happened in the village. Many thanks.

nomad likes this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I saw the timeline idea used between the visitor centre and the site at Skara Brae when we visited at Easter - I was impressed.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I agree with all the comments about keeping the tiles as they are. On a stand like that shown above you could place a piece of glass in front of the tile and etch your design onto that, with the tile as a background.

colpee likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

The wood is all in a skip and either the more interesting wood has gone or is buried at the bottom beyond my skip-diving efforts. While what is there may be quite old, it doesn't look it anymore than any rough sawn wood might so I'll find something next year.

I ran the ideas past a couple of interested people today (there was an archeology course visit and we tagged along) and they went down very well.

I'll come back with updates as appropriate.

colpee likes this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'm late to the party here, but I would just get the tiles framed. They look like abstract landscapes - so pretty.

10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

My thoughts too

coffeekid likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Update. Just about have these ready now.

There were pictures of the finished articles but for some reason TES has decided to dump them all and the words too when I tried to post them, luckily I copied this text first, So you'll have to imagine what they look like.

There were repairs to the pews at the end of the summer and I managed to salvage some reasonable bits of wood (and got a load of woodwormy kindling too by the time I'd sorted through it).

I've cleaned up one side of the wood to engrave our 1000 year logo onto it and left the other side as it was, so there's now a tile and part of a pew that's been there for well over 100 years.

I bought some cheap plate stands from ebay and ditched the booklet idea. I'll be selling them as a choice of tile + piece of wood as both vary significantly, this way the tiles are untouched. The wooden label can be tied on with string or lay across the bottom of the tile and stand.

Thanks for your input all those who replied to this thread originally.

cissy3, colpee, Nellyfuf2 and 3 others like this.
  12. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

[​IMG]

Is this an inversion of finding a religious picture in a mundane object?

[​IMG]

Mangle- I'll have a think

Mangleworzle likes this.
  13. Burndenpark

Some mileage in this...

You could get someone with a decent imagination to incorporate them into line drawings, I know he's persona non grata, but if you remember Rolf Harris's paintings when he's ask if people could "guess what it is yet"?

14. Burndenpark

Also we are thinking about these as portrait they could swing around to landscape- that opens up several other options. Is any wood being thrown out too? Pews, rafters? putting the two together, could give you framed tiles- either used as natural art, or sketched on to give augmented art, or maybe with a Perspex top and bottom sheet to make interesting place mats (locking in any nasties that might be on the tiles), the Perspex could be etched easily- I'm not sure what conclusion was reached about etching the tiles?

Mangleworzle likes this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Thanks for your ideas @Burndenpark you appear not to have read my post #31 though.

I started this thread in the summer and updated it yesterday. They are to be presented on plate stands with our 1,000 year logo engraved into reclaimed wood from repaired pews, most of the pews date from the 1400's but other parts probably have a provenance a bit like Triggers broom.

I'll be trying to sell them for the first time on the 8th of December to raise funds to decorate the chancel after the church commissioners paid for repairs.

cissy3, colpee and smoothnewt like this.
  16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Good luck with the fund raising @Mangleworzle . You need to have another shot a showing us a pic of your work though.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  17. Burndenpark

Read earlier posts on a thread? What sort of heresy is this?

I love the film Groundhog day;)

Good luck with the sales

Mangleworzle likes this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm pleased to learn how it's all coming together for you, @Mangleworzle.

Out of interest, what engraving technique is proposed for the engraving? My interest is solely that engraving is a subject that that interests me not one iota, but I had to learn about the technicalities of the various engraving methods in order to flog appropriate equipment.

To qualify that, I have to explain that among my customers was a gut who has a very succesful business based around engraving names and messages on tat he imports from China. He has a keen eye for what's floggable and he buys it for a song. As tat goes, it's quality tat.

He'd make a nice profit if he flogged my daughter an unengraved wooden pen in an unengraved wooden pen box, but if she wants it engraved, the cost rises fourfold.

The only thing I'd use it for in this day and age, is to make a note of things I need to do, which I could just as easily do with a 5p biro. In truth, There's a greater chance of such a pen getting nicked by my sweetheart so she can put together a shopping list.

What I'm trying to say is that if my daughter gave me an engraved pen, I'd worry that she wasted her money, when a quid's worth of biros would see me out for all my writing needs these days.

However there's another aspect that implores me to respond to this thread. I was approached at a trade show by a monthly magazine, dedicated for engravers, about whether I'd be interested in writing a regular article for them about engraving.

It was possibly an opportunity to educate and maybe attract people who were bewildered by the range of engraving machines on the market to cut through the salesman's speil and explain whether the equipment they were being offerred would do what they hoped, before they signed their life away.

I remember that the first article I wrote, he magazine said was the most brilliant copy they'd ever recieved. I hadn't a clue what to write about at the time I wrote it, but I remeber it beginning with some BS about the origins of engraving began when a man carved a heart in a tree with a stone, with the message that Ug loves Ugelle.

It's very much a distant memory whatever nonsense I wrote in subsequent editions for the magazine, but I had to stop doing it after six months, because I couldn't find the time to write the copy and deal with all the sales enquiries those articles raised.

However in the process of trying to understand what the readers wanted to know about from a technical perspective. I learned more about engraving than anyone ever needs to know.

To put it another way, you can visit any graveyard and see gravestones engraved with mesages of who is buried below them, sometimes with messages from the bereathed about what the life of the departed, but in reality, the day after the funeral, it's mostly only taxmen and debt collectors who are interested in the whereabouts of the deceaced.

But although I have my doubts about enraving being of much use to mankind in the same way it has been to archaeologists and historians to trace history all the way back to the time when Ug met Ugelle, technology has advanced so much that everyting we ever need to know about an indidual or object, b when engraving became became distracted easy and affordable by all.

To say this differently. just imagine what future archaeologists would make of a pen they found with my name engraved in it. Might they imagine for far too long that I was more important than I actually was, just because my daughter took the trouble to have my name engraved in that pen in the same way that Rameses III's daughter wanted his name to be preserved for posterity?

19. Mangleworzle

Aha! It looks like I can post a picture if I just do one and make it a thumbnail. You'll have to click on the little one to see it larger. It used to be easy to post pictures, could @TesRachael or someone have a look and maybe sort it out? If I upload more than one and/or try to make it full size , it appears in the draft view and then just disappears instead of posting.

IMG_1359.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    colpee and cissy3 like this.
  20. Mangleworzle

I bought a Chinese laser called a K40 @Duke of York . I'd thought about getting one a while ago for various projects, then this just pushed me over the line to buying one. It's quite a versatile machine with the upside that it is highly customizable without needing to be an expert engineer to do so. The downside is that it HAS to be customized to some degree to get it up and working and it takes a while to learn how to prepare files to send to the laser to start to engrave or cut them.

There's quite a community online of people who have them who are very willing to answer questions and share experiences to help newbies to trouble shoot and then get their machine going and functional. I've added a "z-bed" so far, a bed for the work piece to sit on while being adjustable in the z dimension i.e. up and down, so the laser focuses at the right point on different thicknesses of material. The next modification will be to add air-assist which is a nozzle supplying a jet of air to the point of focus to blow away smoke and leave a much cleaner finish. Initially I saw people recommend that a workshop style air compressor was needed, but it seems that others have experimented and found a better, cheaper and quieter solution is to just use an aquarium pump. Something that shows how readily adaptable the thing is. You can get machines that work straight out of the box, though they cost at least 3 times the price and lack the ability to tinker with them successfully.

As much as anything it is a fun thing to have and there is much scope for making all kinds of stuff, though many seem to make the same kind of stuff that I don't particularly like very much.

cissy3 likes this.