1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspiration for Pie Corbett?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mimgrif, Feb 16, 2016.

1. mimgrif

mimgrif New commenter

Hi, we do a Pie Corbett approach to writing in my school and I'm struggling to find a middle ground between picture books and long novels. Can anyone recommend some good books for a working below expected level yr 5/6 class that we could get different writing types from? We wouldn't need to learn the whole story off just sections.

2. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

Hi, I always think that schools try to do full length novels which seems to go against the Pie Corbett approach. There is a good Pie Corbett book of stories for each ks2 year group which work well with the T4W approach called Bumper Book of Storytelling into story writing which is good

Attached Files:

3. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I think that class novels are very important.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I agree and it's a simple matter to select an extract to use with the Pie Corbett method.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We used the first couple of chapters from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe to use for talk4writing/storytelling. We talked that part of the story through and acted it out, made figures to retell and so on, then wrote an innovated version.
    However, we read the entire book as a class; partly in guided reading, partly me reading to the class.

Done the same with Fantastic Mr Fox with another class.