1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspections - how long before results given?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by br0wnsugar, Jun 8, 2019.

1. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

March inspection - by May staff still not heard anything but SLT continue to focus mainly on behaviour for learning and a culture for delivering class learning/oh and SEN concerns was an issue at the end of the 1st day. Currently Outstanding - likely grade now?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm sure results should be out by now. And probably on public record. Try looking at the Ofsted Inspection site, inputting your school and look for yourself. The site certainly has 'latest reports from last week 7th June 2019, so last March should definitely be there.
    https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/

3. br0wnsugar

Oh really? I'll look again and I may have been looking on the wrong site.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

According to the current Inspection Handbook...

124. Typically, schools will receive an electronic version of the final report within 14 working days of the end of the inspection. In most circumstances, the final report will be published on Ofsted’s website within 19 working days.

125. If Ofsted decides that a report should be subject to further quality assurance, the school will usually receive an electronic version of the final report within 23 working days. In these circumstances, the final report will usually be published within 28 working days.
    You can work out long has actually passed since your inspection, it'll be well more than even 28 working days, let alone the usual 19 working days. "If Ofsted decides that a report should be subject to further quality assurance" is an Ofsted euphemism for if the inspection judgement is Special Measures - although there can be other reasons for the longer timescale.

Normally the reason for delays beyond 28 days is that the school is challenging something in the draft report. And since schools are unlikely to challenge a judgement that they are still Outstanding you can draw your own conclusions.

Keep logging onto Ofsted reports website every day and see if it appears. Otherwise you can only wait.

phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. br0wnsugar

Thank you Rottweiler for your response.
    Many thoughts are that the O grade has been downgraded or maybe there is a dispute with some findings which may make it better than a possible 'requires improvement' into a 'good' judgement; staff are restless and wondering if the results were held back until after the 31st May cut off point..I think you can work out why that may be the case.
    I'm thinking whether OFSTED ever change their judgements once given, if after 14 days, a possible electronic review has indeed been submitted to the Head... I have looked on OFSTED website and still nothing, so it is a longer wait.

6. Rott Weiler

Is it on Ofsted site yet?

At the next staff meeting just ask head all innocently if they know why it's taking so long to be issued? :)

I see what you say but it wouldn't be possible for that to happen IMV. Ofsted definitely wouldn't hold it back for that reason. And head couldn't in practice. The moment Ofsted put it on their website it's public for the whole world to see. If a teacher doesn't find it first a parent sure will. And bad news travels fast ....

Under Ofsted's rules though the draft report is restricted to the head and SLT and governors and shouldn't be disclosed to staff until Ofsted publish the report. In my experience though heads find ways to signal the outcome to staff, especially if it's good news. Heads going all quiet on you and sticking to the 'it's confidential' line is normally an indicator that it's not good news.

Who knows until it's published, maybe your Outstanding has been confirmed after all and it's just a bit of admin confusion ...;)

Ofsted might delay issuing the report if there's a dispute and their formal disputes procedure has been invoked (I'm not sure how that works nowadays). But essentially once Ofsted have published it (= posted it on Ofsted website) that's it. Ofsted will not change them. There have been occasional cases where schools have gone to court and forced Ofsted to take it down but those cases are as rare as hen's teeth (and very expensive for the school).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I once had a report delayed by several months... because the inspection was QAd, and then the report was too. A judgement was downgraded, resulting in a very senior inspector having to review the entire evidence base... and then they lost the report in the process too!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

9. br0wnsugar

Yeah. Good From the big O!! Main focus behaviour/classroom culture/SEN

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Despite all the delay it turned out to be OK! That should be a lot less hassle for staff than if it had been worse....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So glad it's been a good result for you all.