1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

inspection

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hotchoccy88, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I work in a Catholic school and we have an RE inspection next week. II was wondering if anyone has had one of these? Any tips for what the inspectors are looking for when it comes to the lesson, display?

2. I work in a Catholic school and we have an RE inspection next week. II was wondering if anyone has had one of these? Any tips for what the inspectors are looking for when it comes to the lesson, display?

3. Hi, I have had RE inspections in a CofE school, so not sure if they're exactly the same as you're about to have (we had to have one after each ofsted inspection but if I'm honest Im not sure who was inspecting us - that's how little the teachers really had to do with it!)
    Unless we were having a lesson obs (which we knew about in advance - we had to volunteer to be observed) - or you were the RE subject leader, then as I mentioned we didnt have much to do with the whole process.

In terms of what they were looking for, it varied each time. Some of the most important comments we received related to making sure children were seen to be learning FROM religion rather than just about it, and ensuring that writing in RE was comparable in standard to writing in literacy.
    For example we had children who were levelled as 3/4/5 but were sequencing pictures rather than using their writing skills, and this was criticised.
    I taught in KS1 (I'm no longer at the school by the way) and volunteered to have an observed lesson. It was about the exodus and made it totally practical and drama-based. I outlined the story then dressed up and trooped the kids round school getting them to imagine what it must have been like to walk for days and not know what was happening, we discussed trust and other emotions - anger, sadness etc then they recorded their feelings on a 'person' in words and drew an expression to show what they felt. We then stuck them onto a display that was half created with the parting of the sea. Inspectors liked the practicality and especially the 'learning from' element.
    In terms of displays we had to have an RE display in every class as policy but mine varied (burning bush/parting sea/church/baptism etc. It varied.
    Our RE subject leader had to have interviews and discuss results/curriculum/standards etc but other than being observed personally I had nothing more to do with it.
    Anyway, hope it goes well x

4. Hi
    we had one of these last year. The main focus was lesson observations which were arranged with specific teachers well in advance. Other than that each teacher had to hand in 6 RE books, the school's RE assessment was monitored, displays and the general presence of RE was observed around the school, I think an assembly was observed and I think one teacher was observed during the morning prayer. Nothing major unless it's your lesson being watched. In our school 1 teacher from each key stage was seen. I would have thought you'd know about it by now if you were being observed so I wouldn't fret too much.
    hope that helps
    :)