1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inspection before academisation?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by millieann3, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Hi

A friend of mine is working in a primary school that has just decided to become an academy; they are being sponsored. The staff were assured that the school would not be inspected for at least 4 terms after the conversion process. The school received satisfactory under its last inspection.

Fast forward to yesterday when it is announced that OFSTED are in today and tomorrow... Also the team today have made references to being 'invited'. The school should be an academy by July.

Is this even possible? The HT is a bully who has seen off many members of very good/not so good staff over the last 4 years; standards have dropped, attendance is down, SEN is not managed correctly, there were 9 teachers out of 12 new to the school in September; a lot of whom have already left and been replaced by supply staff, only 4 teachers have been graded good this year so far, etc etc. The HT is however extremely good at BS and form filling :(.

So my question is

Why would OFSTED be invited in?

Who would invite them? The Academy Trust? The DFE who visited last week?

Could the HT lose his job after 4 years in post and no real sustained improvements?

Thank you in advance.

2. It sounds like this school hasn't yet become an academy - if that is the case and the results are showing a downward trend then I would definately expect Ofsted to come knocking. It would be unusual for them to be invited, however it is not unheard of for schools/LAs to request inspections where they believe an inspection at a particular moment in time would be advantageous.

As to whether the HT will keep his job, lets wait and see......

3. We certainly will! Thank you.